DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

3.2.2 Crashed - lost loads of data [fixed]

I have been updating a lot of the excellent Savage Worlds stuff (on v. 4.4). I am on 'Test' in my settings. After an update last night, all my NPC pages went mad and don't display the monster name and the stats disappeared all the way down the bottom of the page.

What is worse is that the system crashed this afternoon. Upon opening a campaign that I have been doing considerable amounts of work on recently, I saw that it has all gone. All the NPCs, Story entries and the books I had made in the Library. I have also lost all the players' characters so they will not be impressed.

I know that some sort of warning screen flashed up saying the system had crashed and about a backup but to be honest, I was panicking and clicking OK on everything.

I am sick as a dog about this, desperate to get back to the stage I was at before the update yesterday and to get all my missing data back.

Am I screwed? Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do not get computers so please explain anything technical to me like I'm an imbecile!

Thanks

Firstly, if you're running in the "test" mode, FG should be v3.3.0 - is it not showing this?

Look in the <FG app data>\campaigns directory for the campaign in question. In there will be various db.session....xml files, maybe even some db.crash...xml files. First, make a backup of this entire directory. Then, try the most recent db.session...xml file, or db.crash....xml file - rename this to db.xml and then start FG and try to load this file. You may need to try a few different files before you get one that works OK for you.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

YES!!!! It worked. Lost a little bit of work as had to go back a few days but disaster averted! Thanks very much Trenloe, you're a star.

P.S. I am on 3.3.0.... I also downloaded the latest NPC maker & library extensions and the issues with the screwed up NPC statblocks and Encounters are all sorted.

Great news!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Do consider also making regular backups of your /campaigns folder to another location.
    perhaps zip them up once a month and drop the zip file in your favourite cloudsync folder.

Also make sure that your live data directory isn't stored in a synced cloud folder like Drive or Dropbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Also make sure that your live data directory isn't stored in a synced cloud folder like Drive or Dropbox.
    ya know people tell me that, but I've never had a problem...strange, wonder what I am doing differently?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Righ View Post
    ya know people tell me that, but I've never had a problem...strange, wonder what I am doing differently?
    so long as you know why when it happens...

true, I've never been a complainer when crap that I do to myself happens, but then again, I back up my campaign after each session

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Righ View Post
    ya know people tell me that, but I've never had a problem...
    No problem that you've noticed, anyway... ;-)

Thread Information