FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Sorry this may be in the wrong section. This is Savage Worlds, but the Google search led me here.

Quote Originally Posted by tintagel View Post
    So I've tried this following the directions very carefully, and my players can move the NPCs, open the sheet, roll traits and even see LOS and Fog of War (Options set to share party vision).

HOWEVER, they are unable to interact with the combat tab. Double-clicking attacks or damage does nothing. Not able to drag dice onto creatures, desktop or chat. Again, I've followed the directions provided:
    * Drag NPC to combat tracker
    * Drag NPC link from tracker to PC portrait at top. Sheet opens for PC and NPC now shows up in PC's Allies list.
    * Drag NPC token to map
    * PC is able to move NPC around and open the sheet by double-clicking the token. Can use traits on Traits tab without issue.
    * Cal
    I don't know the Savage Worlds ruleset all that well but doesn't it handle allies differently - in that you can have allies attach to your character sheet or something like that?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Just FYI - I was never able to get characters to use the NPC targeting or end turn in FGU and had to make my own workaround in the code for it. There may be some magic way to get it to work but I never found it - that is in 5E FGU.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

It sure would be nice if you could add an NPC to party movement so players can select them, move and target without adding them to party vision. I noticed that if party vision and movement is enabled and in the radial menu you exclude an NPC from party vision that simultaneously excludes it from movement or control. Want players to not receive real-time vision from each other. I have excluded them all from party vision then created a dummy PC called "party vision" for mapping purposes.

I also created a PC familiar for the wizard's quasit which that player owns and can control but which is excluded from party vision also. Apparently because the player owns both the wizard and the quasit, they get per player shared vision without sharing that vision with other party members (which is as desired). Unfortunately, creating PC's for every summoned creature is hard.

If only the old function of dragging the NPC icon over to the player's picture gave control and targeting to that player without sharing any vision with them that would be the best solution.

Although the NPC can be controlled by the player it is never owned by the player. Hence the player can't do anything with it when Party Movement and Vision is set since that actually looks at the players who are connected to work (this is why if you have multiple characters you can see each different PC LoS as you noted above).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Although the NPC can be controlled by the player it is never owned by the player. Hence the player can't do anything with it when Party Movement and Vision is set since that actually looks at the players who are connected to work (this is why if you have multiple characters you can see each different PC LoS as you noted above).
    I don’t use party vision with polymorphism extension because sharing the NPC does give PC full ownership. That means you can do anything with NPC including manipulate it’s inventory with map parcel extension. Just saying full control of NPC without party vision set can definitely be done if you write or use extensions. In my games for sure.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; November 24th, 2020 at 12:55.

Blog Entries
    To me, if the NPC/familiar/ally/wildshape/poly form/etc is going to be around for awhile, it's just easier to make them a PC object. Then you don't have to worry about limits of NPC objects.

Yes there are some caveats with this that some of the extensions handle.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The thing about making a player the owner of a NPC node is that they have full editing control at that point as well...

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The thing about making a player the owner of a NPC node is that they have full editing control at that point as well...

JPG
    Exactly. It's their pseudo PC. That shared "owned in my world" NPC had buttons and inventory tabs that can be USED. If I have a mule I've given to the party - it has an inventory that that party member can load up things in and take things out. It can also be attacked by me (DM), killed by me (DM), and robbed by me (DM). Its not some infinite invulnerable party sheet bag of holding inventory as in standard FGU. If I give them a henchman or henchcreature then they have full control to arm weapons and armor which gets updated in their main sheet (and for use by me in CT if I want it) and inventory and they have full ability to use them.

Yes, I WANT my shared NPCs to be fully operational by players that I share them too. I'm lazy. I don't want to have to do it. And if your worried about NPCs being mangled in the stats by them - then you must be in an outright panic about them mangling their PC stats and such! And while the CT NPC entry is not permanent like the PC, I create a "Player NPCs" group in the NPC button where I occasionally back up the NPC for them in case I accidently clear it out of the CT ( that way they don't lose their inventory - but the correct way is not to accidently delete it out of CT - I'm just error prone so I do this to guard against it - which is why I'm developing a combat groups extension to allow me to remove it from CT without losing all the stored CT stuff ).

Much ado about nothing to me for any worrying about them having access to the NPC as they do the PC. If I did not want them to have access I for sure would not GIVE them access. I'd control it for them - which I don't want to do. Lazy DM here.

Plus I made that "ownership" of the NPC a default ON option that you can turn off. It will still have code in to let them do end turn and targeting (as I can't see ever doing without that) but they will not be able to manipulate anything.

My reasoning is that if you trust them not to mangle or cheat with their PC's why would you not trust them not to mangle or cheat with an NPC you gave them to own?

That map parcel extension can also allow them access to drag around the token representing the parcel which is a mobile inventory on its own (that I can rob but not destroy). Personally, its more for permanent storage for the players in maps and such - though some use it to be a cart they drag around. I prefer the NPC storage option because it allows me (DM) to actually damage it and kill it without doing anything special. Lazy DM.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; November 24th, 2020 at 19:38.

Blog Entries
    I believe JPG's statement is a simple warning, to make sure anyone who does such is fully aware of the implications. Like if you shared a Lion with a player and they owned it, they could change the stats without the GM knowing. If the GM then used that lion in an encounter, it might no longer be what the GM expected it to be. Just an FYI so that folks are aware their are implications to changing default behavior. Not that folks can't/shouldn't do so for their own needs/wants.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information