DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Wait, the Ultimate license includes SRD content that the Standard license does not?

All other discussions aside - @Nalfien please revisit looking at the SRD data. I don't think you were seeing everything that is there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Nalfien View Post
    Wait, the Ultimate license includes SRD content that the Standard license does not?
    It contains the same content.

Please see my post above. I think you might have not seen the whole SRD data. Please re-check within Fantasy Grounds.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    It sounds like they are opening the D&D Basic Rules only and not the SRD 5 data modules. The Basic Rules are 4 fully complete classes. The SRD is a single version of each race and class. Using both sets of modules will greatly reduce any sort of manual entry you will need to use and give lots of examples for how the data should be entered. While there are some character building assistance features built into Fantasy Grounds, the power of the software comes mostly in automating after your character is created and for the DM.

Blog Entries
    Another option if you are considering any other purchases; wait until one of the several yearly big sales take place and get I think a 25% discount.

I bought most of my stuff during a few of these sales; it makes a big difference. My players contributed to purchase the PotA adventure, the SCAG and a small portion of the DMG, but that really is meaningless to your situation.

The SRD should really be good to get your group started though. Once you're playing the PHB might be a more palatable purchase once you all see the benefits of improved automation making your game run more smoothly (and your players see gaps in material that are stuff they want their characters to utilize).

The suggestion of having your players pool together for you to buy the PHB is the cheapest way for your whole group to have access to it, based on your own statement that you aren't interested in spending any more of your money. The DM always determines what resource is shared out to the players, as you will know from your 3.5e experience, so you having the PHB makes the most sense for your group if you find the SRD doesn't meet your needs.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    ... or the players with their own subscription can pick up a smaller PC Customization pack for all the races, items, backgrounds, feats, etc. and then the class pack if they want a version that isn't already in the SRD modules or Basic Rules modules.

Character Customization Pack
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...OTC5EPHBCPBASE

Individual Class Packs
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ss+Pack&sort=2

Quote Originally Posted by Nalfien View Post
    John, WotC determines how much of the SRD is included in FG? See that's valuable information you could respond with instead of having such a negative tone.

You may be able to spend $1,300 on Fantasy Grounds, but my players and I can't. I also can't ask them to purchase something for me they can only use if I'm available. With your advice to ask people to buy me things and look for different people to play with, I must wonder about how many things players have provided you and had they not how quickly you could replace them.

Edit:
    Nemori, SRD includes all 12 classes? If that's true I think I need to look at what I have opened in my library because I'm only seeing 4 from the basic rules.

If you are correct, it pretty much nullifies my complaints.
    No, the SRD itself is limited, here's the link: https://media.wizards.com/2016/downl...D-OGL_V5.1.pdf WOTC does not decide how much of SRD is in FG, but how much of D&D is in SRD.

Everything I own I earned through hard work, please go insult somebody else. Good luck getting any help with your attitude.

Leaves the thread.
    Last edited by Nemori; March 14th, 2017 at 19:56.
    License: Ultimate
    Timezone: CET

Just a side comment, hobbies are extreme cash sinks, any hobby, i cannot think of a single one that is cheap or free. I dropped about $500 since Jan, not only on products in FG but on PDFs so i can input my own data. When I was a dj I would easily drop 3-500 a month on music and blank cds and everything, not to mention the high cost of gear. When I video game my console cost me $400 plus the at minimum $60/year sub for online features, plus games which generally are $60 each, or on Steam they are closer to $30 each but you need to constantly make sure your pc is up to date.
    From every hobby i have done in my 33 years, FG is the cheapest most efficient one, not only can you use the software at in person games, but you can play with people around the world, I have played with Aussies, and I live in Colorado.

Yes there is an expense wall, but if you played in person then wouldnt you expect to have to buy the books and everything too? Roll20 can be used for free, and i felt like I was spending too much money on a free product, FG i am constantly looking for new things to pay for.

Suck up the costs for a month or so and see if you like it, hell there is a 30 day refund, if after your first 28 days you dont like it ask for a refund on your modules (books) and be done, but I have this feeling that on day 28 you will be making sure that there is money in your account to pay the subscription, thats what happened to me, and now i cannot think of a single community online that I enjoy more than the FG community.
    Last edited by Wookiee420; March 14th, 2017 at 20:12.

Guys, keep it civil please. None of us know the expense constraints other people have on their money. What they prioritise is up to them, not us. If you can't help the OP with their questions and understanding of the FG product then please leave this thread to those that do. There's obviously some misunderstanding of what the SRD in FG contains, so let's help the OP understand what is available and what isn't. Thanks.

Here is an idea: why not move to Pathfinder which is very similar to the 3.5 you are familiar with? The SRD is Very complete. The only downside is that most of the character creation automation is missing.

Thread Information