DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

Steampunk campaign

I was thinking of starting a Steampunk campaign but didn't know where to start with Fantasy Grounds. Is Savage Worlds with the Deadlands setting a good place for wild west steampunk? Or would Pathfinder using Pure Steam work better?

Mike
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Those are two massively different systems. I would first decide what you want PF or SW then decide which steampunk world you want...There are plenty of options out there in every system that you can find your setting easily. Biggest thing, is do you want the bookkeeping and battle system in PF or the less bookkeeping more cinematic battle system of SW?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee420 View Post
    Those are two massively different systems. I would first decide what you want PF or SW then decide which steampunk world you want...There are plenty of options out there in every system that you can find your setting easily. Biggest thing, is do you want the bookkeeping and battle system in PF or the less bookkeeping more cinematic battle system of SW?
    I should ask this...is Deadlands specifically a steampunk setting? Or a wild west setting that a steampunk campaign can take place in? Thanks for any info...

Mike

Deadlands is the weird west. It terms of comic books, it has much in common with Jonah Hex, the Sixth Gun, and Pariah, Missouri. It is a mashup of spaghetti westerns and something approaching the call of Cthulhu - some evil, mystical undercurrent. It does have plenty of steam-punkish technology items (gattling pistols, automatons, gyrocopters, jetpacks, a funky jet ski device), but it doesn't necessarily revel in them.

Anyhow, it has some of the trappings of Steampunk and a GM could bring them into focus, but most of these items are expensive and uncommon at best.

There are a couple of settings for Savage Worlds that probably are more recognized as having heavy Steampunk roots. Look for THE WIDENING GYRE and RUNEPUNK. I don't know if either of these is being ported to Fantasy Grounds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    Deadlands is the weird west. It terms of comic books, it has much in common with Jonah Hex, the Sixth Gun, and Pariah, Missouri. It is a mashup of spaghetti westerns and something approaching the call of Cthulhu - some evil, mystical undercurrent. It does have plenty of steam-punkish technology items (gattling pistols, automatons, gyrocopters, jetpacks, a funky jet ski device), but it doesn't necessarily revel in them.

Anyhow, it has some of the trappings of Steampunk and a GM could bring them into focus, but most of these items are expensive and uncommon at best.

There are a couple of settings for Savage Worlds that probably are more recognized as having heavy Steampunk roots. Look for THE WIDENING GYRE and RUNEPUNK. I don't know if either of these is being ported to Fantasy Grounds.
    Thanks for the info, Topdecker! Deadlands sounds interesting, but I will look into the the widening gyre and runepunk, since I'm looking for a heavy steampunk vibe.

Another setting: The Kerberos Club

Blog Entries
    There's also Steamscapes and Clockwork Dreams for Savage Worlds.
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

Thread Information