DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Yep, I realise that. I was saying "Déjà Vu" to "What about the manual rolls option in FG already " comment.

There's actually quite a bit of work to get this working from the player side as it will be interrupting the roll, passing control to the GM to get the roll, passing control back, etc.. Plus there are all of the edge cases to cater for - critical confirmation, grapples, multiple attacks in one roll, etc. to make all of this work correctly.

Yes, it's possible to do, but it's not simple.
    Thanks, Trenloe! You guys do an awesome job on the all the extensions you come up with. I appreciate it...
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

OK, so I thought of a very quick (with loads of potential issues) version of this (attached).

This places a little dice icon on the bottom right of the desktop - click this to open the manual dice window, do not use the previous /openwindow command. You can right-click and unlock the icon to relocate it on the desktop.

The die result number you enter works as before - but it is stored in the database. When anyone rolls an attack roll the database field will be checked for a value greater than 0, and uses this value instead of the dice roll for the first d20 in the roll result set. The GM side is then signalled to reset the number to 0 - so it will only be used for the first roll.

There are obviously so many potential issues with this: not controlling which player it applied to - it will be applied to the next attack roll made by anyone, it doesn't adjust a critical confirm roll (but you can force a critical confirmation with a 20), it only applies to the first d20 dice in the roll result set, if there is slow comms to the player side you'll have to make sure you set the number with enough time to get to player instance, etc., etc..

I supply this as a proof of concept and a way of showing what can be done. And, Niles, as a very basic way of giving you what you're looking for.

Enjoy!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    OK, so I thought of a very quick (with loads of potential issues) version of this (attached).

This places a little dice icon on the bottom right of the desktop - click this to open the manual dice window, do not use the previous /openwindow command. You can right-click and unlock the icon to relocate it on the desktop.

The die result number you enter works as before - but it is stored in the database. When anyone rolls an attack roll the database field will be checked for a value greater than 0, and uses this value instead of the dice roll for the first d20 in the roll result set. The GM side is then signalled to reset the number to 0 - so it will only be used for the first roll.

There are obviously so many potential issues with this: not controlling which player it applied to - it will be applied to the next attack roll made by anyone, it doesn't adjust a critical confirm roll (but you can force a critical confirmation with a 20), it only applies to the first d20 dice in the roll result set, if there is slow comms to the player side you'll have to make sure you set the number with enough time to get to player instance, etc., etc..

I supply this as a proof of concept and a way of showing what can be done. And, Niles, as a very basic way of giving you what you're looking for.

Enjoy!

Hi Trenloe, I'm getting your message at work, so I can't try it out until I get home. However, thank you so much that you would take the time to do this. You guys are awesome that work on this stuff for Fantasy Grounds, and I really appreciate this. Thank you again!

Mike

Blog Entries

Enjoy!

Hi Trenloe, I opened this up but can't figure out which file to put in which folder. I assumed the extension.xml in the extension folder. But nothing happened. Thanks again!

Mike

Blog Entries
    Disregard my last message, Trenloe. I figured it out and it works perfectly. I don't mind the limitations. This is exactly what I was looking for! You've just given me a DM tool to better tell the stories I have planned for my group. Thank you again!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for! You've just given me a DM tool to better tell the stories I have planned for my group. Thank you again!
    No worries. I've deliberately coded it to roll a 1 every 3-4 rolls.

Enjoy!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries

manual die roll extension feedback

No worries. I've deliberately coded it to roll a 1 every 3-4 rolls.

Enjoy!
    Hi Trenloe,
    I just wanted to write back and give you some feedback with that extension you created. Just so you know how I use it and the reaction from my group (even though they have no idea I'm using it!). The battles fly by now. That used to be the biggest slow down of my games, the time it takes to battle. Only now, instead of giving the monster fewer HP, I occasionally give my players 20's, so they can crit hit and do more damage. Very seldom, I give them a 1, just to make them feel they're not cutting through like a knife through butter. When I do reward 20's, the reaction on the other end is priceless. Only once have they noticed that the actual die roll does not match up with the die icon, but they're used to FG doing that occasionally. So again, thank you for what you created for me. I do have one question. I'm starting a 5E campaign soon. Any way to make that extension work in 5E?

Mike

Glad it's working well for you Niles.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    I do have one question. I'm starting a 5E campaign soon. Any way to make that extension work in 5E?
    Yep. Find someone who's willing to do the coding for you in the 5E ruleset.

Blog Entries
    Glad it's working well for you Niles.

Yep. Find someone who's willing to do the coding for you in the 5E ruleset.
    Thank you for all you did, I want you to know it's appreciated!

Mike

Thread Information