DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to? / Feature Request - Check Boxes and Pointer

Two questions , how do you do these, and if you can't, I request the developers consider adding these features.

First, check boxes. On D&D 5e characters - and in other games I'm sure - there are powers that can only be used a certain number of times a day, or some other time period. How would I go about adding check boxes for such powers? There already is such boxes for ammunition and spell slots, so the only difference here would be that they can be added as desired. If this isn't possible, I would be really nice if it was.

Second, we've been using Game Table for some time, and there is a really nice feature on there that I think is very handy for virtual games, a pointer. The player - or DM - moves his mouse someplace, and holds down a key and a pointer appears to - appropriately enough - point at something. As we can't point at things easily otherwise (I've pointed at the screen in the past, strangely the others had no idea what I was pointing at) this would be very helpful. Is there something like this in FG, and if there isn't could there be?

Thanks much.
    Last edited by kato42; February 25th, 2017 at 05:24.

Blog Entries
    Welcome kato42

Pointers can be had by right clicking the map and you get the choice of various pointers and these will stay on the map until you remove them.
    You can also use the left and right mouse buttons in tandem to draw a temporary pointer that will disappear next time you press both mouse buttons.

Have a look at skj30's blog posts
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...p?15343-skj310

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Welcome kato42

Pointers can be had by right clicking the map and you get the choice of various pointers and these will stay on the map until you remove them.
    You can also use the left and right mouse buttons in tandem to draw a temporary pointer that will disappear next time you press both mouse buttons.
    Thanks, we had found the ability to draw a pointer on a map, and knowing that you can use the left and right mouse buttons to draw a temporary one is helpful, but I was talking more about a very simple instant pointer, so that everyone looking at the screen knows you mean *THIS*. Pointing at a square on the tactical map, a location on an area map, a specific something in a picture or document that DM has put up, that sort of thing. I could not begin to count the number of times we've done that in GT. Being able to draw an area of effect or direction on the map with the existing pointer tool is certainly useful, but its a bit more cumbersome than I would like for just pointing at something on a map (it's a bit like pulling out a pen and drawing a pointer onto your physical map instead of just using your finger to point at something).

Will have to try out the left/ right mouse button thing.

Also thanks for the Blog link, under the potion of healing information there was the notes about setting frequency, I will have to give that a try, it might well do the trick. Although its odd that the published PHB doesn't automatically do that, but then again we've seen that in other places that it is inconsistent in what it does and doesn't do automatically.

Thanks for the information.
    Last edited by kato42; February 25th, 2017 at 06:19.

Blog Entries
    If you hold shift + double mouse drag its a square, ctrl a circle, alt a cone. Want to just jab your finger at it and be gone - just click both buttons again a sec later.
    Its not the same feature as you had on GT but it is the feature you have on FG.

Try this link too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post322019

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    If you hold shift + double mouse drag its a square, ctrl a circle, alt a cone. Want to just jab your finger at it and be gone - just click both buttons again a sec later.
    Its not the same feature as you had on GT but it is the feature you have on FG.
    Fair enough.

I was wanting the same thing and I do use the drawing objects to highlight points of interest on the map but some times a big 'ol arrow gets their attention faster. I saw DM David (Check out the Fantasy Ground games in YouTube) in one of his recorded streams grab an arrow from his token bag. I searched online for a image I liked and dropped it in the Token\Host folder and now I use that to point out things.

You can resize it dynamically, rotate it and then set visibility to hidden when you are done.

Yeah, I have a big red arrow in my tokens folder as well. I have the point of the arrow at the center of the token, with the rest transparent. When I drop it on a map, the point always aligns with a "snap point" if there is a grid, and you can spin the arrow around the point.

Hi all,

I'd like to +1 kato42 for an easier/quicker pointer feature.

I'm coming from R20. It has an easy and intuitive mouse hold click feature that pings a part of the map and radially expands into a bigger circle to draw everyone's attention to a specific part of the map; it's even color-coded to character.

I think a similar feature in FG could go a long way to help communication in the game.

My newbie two shekels

Maptool has the ability to hold the space bar down and to produce a "live" pointer that you can then move around using the mouse. It's far superior to just pointing at a single object because you can indicate motion (i.e. "Ok, I think we should go down this path, loop around this hill, and form a line behind this group of trees. Sound good?"

It's one of the features I miss most when using FG.

Vote for it in the FG wishlist/feature request list here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40908
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information