STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Screen Reader?

Screen Reader?

Hey everyone. I'm new here and it looks great to get my friends and family together for some D&D, just got one question. My brother is blind and uses a screen reader, JAWS, on his laptop (http://www.freedomscientific.com/Pro...Blindness/Jaws if it helps any). I can't say I myself know much about how the reader works. Would he be able to use FG with us or will the screen reader be unable to be used? Would really love for him to be able to play with us if possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm new here and it looks great to get my friends and family together for some D&D, just got one question. My brother is blind and uses a screen reader, JAWS, on his laptop (http://www.freedomscientific.com/Pro...Blindness/Jaws if it helps any). I can't say I myself know much about how the reader works. Would he be able to use FG with us or will the screen reader be unable to be used? Would really love for him to be able to play with us if possible.
    Skynet I havent seen that raised before.
    The core platform on which FG is built is fairly old and the interface is quite unique.
    I suggest you try it out with the demo before committing to it.
    I think that everything in the chat window will be easy to read but character sheets and combat tracker will probably be awful...

There would be nothing to stop him participating only by voice and you or another playing doing the mechanical stuff on his character sheet.
    Its the story and the results that most of us play for.

Okay, I'll get it on his laptop and test it to see what it can and can't do. It was something I had been hopeful for but didn't really expect it to be fully functional. Thank you for the response.

This brings up a good topic - accessibility. I'm curious if there are plans for accessibility features in FGU? Support for A11Y is very common for web-based applications but I'm not sure how Unity incorporates accessibility. Now I'm curious and must do some research!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Thread Information