DICE PACKS BUNDLE

License and making a new rule set

I haven't found this spelled out anywhere, but what status does my license need to be in in order to work on making a new rule set for an unrepresented system? I figure it would take quite some time, so I was thinking about renting for 1 month, work on it during 2017, then finally get the ult license when I was done and ready to run some games.

I don't think it matters what license you have in order to make a new ruleset, probably even just the demo is fine. Just make sure what you are getting yourself into. It isn't really that difficult (about the same as programming a website), but you really are looking at putting in at least 400 hours to get a ruleset up and running.

If you don't mind me asking, what game are you needing? Reason I ask is because there are people with projects on-going that may not have been talked about much. Wouldn't make sense to duplicate work if someone is already working on it. Not saying there is, but doesn't hurt to communicate that information, just in case.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

the new Rolemaster which is still in development. Perhaps it will come out in 2017, perhaps not. But I thought it would be a significant effort (which your est hrs is for sure) and I could get a lot of the ground work done ahead of time. Especially if I use RMC as a platform.

And just fyi, I am a professional assembly programmer, so not having all the sweet bells & whistles of modern OO languages is not unfamiliar to me.

Yeah, Rolemaster is going to be a very tough project. The people that worked on classic did a good job on it. Expectations will be high on that one.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

challenge accepted.

Not that I mind working with others or someone else beating me to the punch. In the end I'll be writing house rules over it anyways.

Blog Entries
    If you release a community ruleset and do not charge for it SmiteWorks are ok with you reusing code from their other rulesets.
    If you wish to sell your ruleset you need to enter into an agreement with SmiteWorks - and of course the IP holder will need to have an agreement with Smiteworks too.

The new RMU is being worked on by Dakadin, as Rolemaster has contracted him for an official release of it I believe, having said that not to discourage you, as it might be some time off. I would hate to see you do all this hard work and a official release comes out and your community set go in the rubbish pile, not saying it rubbish but offical release are allow to include manuals and monster books where community sets are not allowed too.

Anyway I would talk to Dakadin and perhaps there is something you can work together on I do not know, but either way i would contact him first as I know he already done a solid portion I believe.

I've messaged Dakadin a couple days ago, just waiting on reply.

Thread Information