DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I actually kept the ascending AC functions in the 5E ruleset for the AD&D Core ruleset. I just tweak bonuses to hit based on THACO (just calc bab) and then display what players expect (convert ascending AC to decending) and everything works. It's much easier than replacing it for descending AC.

The results end up being the same and everyone sees what they expect to see.

The biggest obstacle for old school stuff is content for me at least. I really wish I could put stuff on DMsguild for others to have/use but until they allow non-5E stuff... meh. I don't get it, it's free money.
    Hey celestian I added yours and vodokars rulesets to the Wiki today. If you get a chance can you check what I have written in case it needs editing. The wiki entries for all rulesets are all pretty skinny...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey celestian I added yours and vodokars rulesets to the Wiki today. If you get a chance can you check what I have written in case it needs editing. The wiki entries for all rulesets are all pretty skinny...
    Thanks for the entry. Will do. I think im getting close to the point I'll stop calling it a project and have an actual "stable" after a few more updates. Maybe then I will focus on working on SRD/OGL data....
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Hah. From what I have seen it is ready to be called a thing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    From my perspective Id like to see a B/X or BECMI conversion before seeing another OSR set
    I would 2nd that. Something pre-AD&D that is as fully implemented as could be (doesn't have to be 5e level). IMHO, there are a lot of old school players out there that might be drawn into FG with something like that. Most are financially secure, have mucho free time with the kids grown and out of the house and they ain't getting any younger. ;-)
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    S&W and LotFP, both what I wish had something, are pre-AD&D.

The basic, expert, etc, that could be toggled do to ascending AC would handle a lot.

LotFP has their own encumbrance system but a lot is just classic D&D.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    I actually kept the ascending AC functions in the 5E ruleset for the AD&D Core ruleset. I just tweak bonuses to hit based on THACO (just calc bab) and then display what players expect (convert ascending AC to decending) and everything works. It's much easier than replacing it for descending AC.

The results end up being the same and everyone sees what they expect to see.

The biggest obstacle for old school stuff is content for me at least. I really wish I could put stuff on DMsguild for others to have/use but until they allow non-5E stuff... meh. I don't get it, it's free money.
    If any product is OGL compatible, you should be able to sell it on the ship here. DMs Guild is for products that use the D&D ip.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    To be more specific, anything owned by WoTC and 5e is licensed to Smiteworks for FG. If it is UA and no profit being made, they seem to be allowing it to be released via DMs Guild.

If you want to release something using WoTC IP (full 5e rules and using the Forgotten Realms) but your own creation, then DMs Guild and Smiteworks cannot Sell here but they did do a deal with DMs Guild so you can at least release FG modules there.

WoTC and pre-5e, no VTT is licensed.

Any Open Gaming License material can be sold on the store here, with the permission of the copyright holder.

So the labor of love AD&D rulesets can be used for people that personally convert the old modules and love playing with those rules, but highly doubtful that the modules can be sold.

For Swords and Wizardry, Frog God Games is willing to allow their material to be converted over and already have a deal with Smiteworks. Zhern would certainly enjoy help on the ruleset he started, he is buried under actual 5e conversion projects and real life work.

For Lamentations of the Flame Princess, the ruleset is OGL and the zero art players book and the old referees book is free. I doubt it would be hard to convince them to allow for conversion of their materials. Some of their products have art and subject matter that range from PG to somewhat R rated, but mainly they are weird horror.

I think that OSRIC and Laberynth Lord have both allowed the rules to be used here. Should not be hard to offer modules.

Anything OGL could be sold here.

The weirdest one is DCC. The FG ruleset keeps getting better and Goodman Games has been pinged many times and have not shown interest yet in licensing their materials.

So if you wanted to work on a ruleset that would allow you to actually sell/distribute your work, the non-WoTC OGL rules are a more sure bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    If any product is OGL compatible, you should be able to sell it on the ship here. DMs Guild is for products that use the D&D ip.
    What I'm hoping for is the same requirements they place on 5E for previous version of D&D. As long as it's set in "FR" or not setting you can use the PHB/DMG/MMs. OGL/SRD is great but I'm no lawyer and would rather just be able to data dump what I have in FG format (creatures, spells, items/etc) w/o having to become one (and reduce the list of that data significantly).

Specifically this requirement.

When you publish material that has no setting, then publishing under the DMs Guild program allows you to use the entire D&D 5th edition rules, not just the subset found in the SRD. It also allows you to sell the material here on the DMsGuild.com marketplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    For Swords and Wizardry, Frog God Games is willing to allow their material to be converted over and already have a deal with Smiteworks. Zhern would certainly enjoy help on the ruleset he started, he is buried under actual 5e conversion projects and real life work.
    I did ping Zhern a few weeks back about the ruleset for S&W to offer some help if I could but didn't get a reply.
    Last edited by celestian; October 8th, 2017 at 19:03.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    There is no good business reason for WoTC to open DMs Guild to more than the current 5e limitations.

If it complies with the OGL, you can write modules that work in the AD&D ruleset and freely sell them.

Otherwise, WoTC has limited manpower and is mining the old material themselves. Plus, who knows who has all the rights for art and prose in the background and who they are allowed to have publish it.

I did ping Zhern a few weeks back about the ruleset for S&W to offer some help if I could but didn't get a reply.
    I must have missed it. I'll take a look and reply soon.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Thread Information