5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

5E Tool Proficiencies as Skills Module

5E Tool Proficiencies as Skills Module

Overview

The purpose of this module is to give DM's an easy way to drag-n-drop Tool Proficiencies to the PCs in their campaigns.

All the Tools listed in the Players Handbook (p. 154 for those with the physical copy) are in this module. None of the flavor text is included, but if you are using the Fantasy Grounds PHB Deluxe, the flavor text is on the item entries themselves.This module does not include the items. Only the title of them entered as a skill, to give players Proficiency bonuses, thus making usage of their "skills" with these items an automate-able roll check.

I literally made this as a module to save myself time when running side-campaigns, one-shots etc. Having these in a module is easy to just turn it on, and have everything ready-to-go for new characters or characters who learn new tool proficiencies as games progress.

Usage

As with other modules, download and place the module file in your Modules folder. When inside your FG campaign, navigate to the module activation in the Library and open the book icon for this module.

Navigate to the Skills section in FG.

Attachment 17528

You will also notice some Tools have categories as listed in the PHB. These categories are also usable in this module, so you can quickly sort through the Tools, as seen in the screenshot below.

Attachment 17529

Have a character open who has a Tool Proficiency you wish to assign. Simply drag the Tool Proficiency Skill to the Character.

Attachment 17530

In the screenshot below, I've given Thieves' Tools to a Level 5 Rogue. Upon giving her proficiency, she now gets her +3 Proficiency Bonus, and in the future she can easily make Thieves' Tools roll checks from her Skills tab on her character sheet now!

Attachment 17531

Updated 24 Jan 2017

The Vehicles Skill Proficiency has been expanded to Land, Water and Air vehicles as separate skills.
    Please re-download the .mod file and replace the old version.
    Last edited by Remedeez; January 24th, 2017 at 22:07.
    Please feel free to call me Robyn. (I can't change my username here)
    My 5E PDFs & Fantasy Grounds Modules on The Dungeon Master's Guild
    I stream FG content creation, world building, and D&D games on Twitch!
    You can find me on Twitter too, if that's your thing!

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

Can one of you Mods add this to the 5E Resources sticky?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    You completely rock. Just sayin'!
    Check out my art albums on FG!
    I own an Ultimate License, all WOTC D&D stuffs, and the SW rules.

LordEntrails, that would be pretty cool! If this doesn't go there though, that's cool too!

LindseyFan, ha! Thanks! I just like saving time since my long-term group likes to play one-shots and side campaigns, EVEN THOUGH we have a long-running campaign we play every Friday night.

I stickied it now, sorry for the delay but I had a sever computer problem (i.e. it blew up) so it's taken a day or two for me to catch up with stuff.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I stickied it now, sorry for the delay but I had a sever computer problem (i.e. it blew up) so it's taken a day or two for me to catch up with stuff.
    No need to apologize!! I'm just trying to make useful stuff for folks to use (albeit, my "things" are very small contributions indeed).

So sorry to hear about your computer!! I hope the damage wasn't too severe!

Total wipe out, but it does mean I got a new one
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; January 24th, 2017 at 18:03.

One thing I noticed, you have land vehicles and water vehicles together as a single tool proficiency. These are technically two different ones.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    One thing I noticed, you have land vehicles and water vehicles together as a single tool proficiency. These are technically two different ones.
    I did think about expanding the Vehicle Proficiencies (and probably should have from the get-go!) but I'm not sure why I didn't, now that I think about it. I had a reason, and I've forgotten it. I think I was sleep-deprived when I first packaged these up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edit: Doh. There's like a bajillion (not really) vehicles in the PHB and I think I was confused what was considered a rowed-vessel or not (for the water vehicles). I'll caffeinate myself up and get to work straight-away. (I never tout myself as a very smart person )

Will post updated version shortly.
    Last edited by Remedeez; January 24th, 2017 at 19:15.

I think you misunderstand. The way the PHB is laid out, there are only two vehicle-tool proficiencies: Vehicles (land) and Vehicles (water). You can see these proficiencies in the Sailor and Folk Hero backgrounds.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to be thorough, you could probably add Vehicles (air) since the DMG has an airship.
    Last edited by Nickademus; January 24th, 2017 at 20:01.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I think you misunderstand. The way the PHB is laid out, there are only two vehicle-tool proficiencies: Vehicles (land) and Vehicles (water). You can see these proficiencies in the Sailor and Folk Hero backgrounds.

EDIT: Actually, if you want to be thorough, you could probably add Vehicles (air) since the DMG has an airship.
    While, yes I do agree with you, the PHB does lay out the Proficiencies as 2 "categories", I personally think it wouldn't be detrimental to then break down those categories into the vehicles listed in the PHB (Rowed-vessels, sailing ships, etc).

I find it not much different than how the musical instruments are. It could have just been "string instruments", "wind instruments" etc., but alas WotC gave us specific instruments here.

But yes, I should at the least include the specifications given in the PHB. And I will!

Edit:
    The mod has been updated. The vehicle proficiencies have been expanded to Land, Water and Air (for now). Will consider (if and) how to expand those out.

Attachment 17607

Please re-download file from first post in this thread to see the updated Vehicle skills expanded.
    Last edited by Remedeez; January 24th, 2017 at 22:09.

Thread Information