STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unable to set an Item's "type"

Hi there

I love that you can create your own items however I'm not able to set the items "type" myself. For instance I would like to create such things as Magic Melee, but all I have access to is: Bomb, Melee, Ranged, and Thrown.

In other words I can not set the Category or Group.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by chiefarchon; January 15th, 2017 at 07:58.

Blog Entries
    Hi chiefarchon you will need to share more information - like what ruleset you are doing this in. Also what is your aim in doing this? If this is just a visual representation you can use the windowlists to create new Categories and drag your items into the new categories.

hi damned

I am using the Savage worlds ruleset and companions.
    I am trying to create a module for export for a game I created many years ago and am now converting to Savage Worlds. It is my hope to also make it available for others to use at some later date.

PS

Ok having just done a search on "windowlist", I now understand that you are perhaps talking about going into the back end and doing things with XML. I would not know where to start with that i'm afraid

However I might be missunderstanding what a windowlist is and where it might be located :P
    Last edited by chiefarchon; January 15th, 2017 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefarchon View Post
    hi damned

I am using the Savage worlds ruleset and companions.
    I am trying to create a module for export for a game I created many years ago and am now converting to Savage Worlds. It is my hope to also make it available for others to use at some later date.

PS

Ok having just done a search on "windowlist", I now understand that you are perhaps talking about going into the back end and doing things with XML. I would not know where to start with that i'm afraid

However I might be missunderstanding what a windowlist is and where it might be located :P
    damned is talking about the window which opens when you click on Items. At the top you'll find that you can create new groups - so his suggestion is that you create the items and put them in a specific group.

As with most rulesets you have the option of creating three types if item, weapons, armour and other. Magic Items usually go into the 'otther' category. If you want to create a magic weapon then you don't really want the type or name to have magic in it otherwise the players might get too much information about the item if you are using the item identification options. It's best to put all of that in the notes of the item rather than the heading. Additionally FG uses the type to determine what kind of weapon it is for CT purposes; so I'm not sure what it would do with a magic melee weapon.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for that Zacchaeus

I have some more questions I suppose.

At the bottom of the items window, I see "Category" and "Group" dropdown menus. When the Fantasy Companion is installed I see a number of magical item types in the Category Dropdown. I'm taking it that this would be the proper way to deal with magical items as that is how savage world seams to be doing it.

Is there no way to do this, and is this not the normal way?

Blog Entries
    Hi chiefarchon I dont know the answer as it pertains to the Fantasy Companion however as fantasy Grounds continues to evolve often there are older products that show things in different ways to how newer products are presented. It may be that this is one of those cases. Hopefully someone with more Savage Worlds knowledge can confirm one way or another.

In current SavageWorlds state you cannot define item/weapon/armor/vehicle's category or group via UI. However if you create those using SW Enhanced Library extension you can define group for them. You could create the item using the extension and then drag-and-drop it to sidebar list. This version will contain group info and it will appear to the sidebar's group dropdown immediately
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

I might add category info support to the extension as well since now there are actual use for it, before it had no use at all
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Thanks Ikael that would be really nice

Just checked with current version when creating gear with SW Enhanced Library, each item will get Category and Group automatically. Category value depends on the Gear list type, for instance Gear: Ranged Weapon will setup category to be "Ranged Weapons", Gear: Ammunition provides "Ammunition" category name etc. These values are automatically set and you cannot affect them yourself, unless you register new gear type using lua. Item's group name is the name of the group you defined within gear list.

Thread Information