STAR TREK 2d20
Page 80 of 150 First ... 3070787980818290130 ... Last

The good news, I have FG Unity Beta installed. The bad news, the GURPS ruleset is creating some errors.

I will work to get these fixed ASAP.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Hi Ronnke,

I've got a fixed GURPS.pak that uses the last release as a base if you'd like me to upload it so you don't have to go back to old versions rather than what you're working on now!

The fix is easy enough - in char_record_secondarycharacteristics, you've got some comments noted as <--! instead of <!-- . FG treats these as values, Classic doesn't care that they're invalid and ignores them, but FGU throws a hissy fit.

I hope the tweaks don't take much work I'm looking forward to seeing what I will call GURPS UNITY in action ... pity we won't be able to make videos or lives ... as long as the beta is closed.

I made the same modifications DingoSoulEater mentioned to the comments in char_record_secondarycharacteristics and was able to get things loaded.

I need to make a minor change to my .mod maker but I will update that later tonight. I have verified the drag/drop items work as well as the equip/un-equip toggling items on and off in the combat tabs but that's all I was able to test.

I'm about to go into my work day though so I'll be busy until this evening.

Unity

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke View Post
    The good news, I have FG Unity Beta installed. The bad news, the GURPS ruleset is creating some errors.

I will work to get these fixed ASAP.

We're all looking forward to switching to Unity BUT I really don't want to give up using GURPS ruleset. I hope the community (Ronnke et all) keep supporting this fantastic rule system.
    I understand the devs of FG can only support so many games systems, just wish GURPS was one of them.
    Thank you! Put a donation button up.

GURPS is the system I use so speaking for myself I'm not going to FG Unity without it either.

I've verified that the drag & drop items I contributed is working (granted that hasn't been rolled out to even the Classic ruleset yet. Talk about timing ). I only had to make a minor change but so far so good. Ronnke on the other hand has the full set of rules to verify so he's even more busy. I think he was also in the process of adding some new things in for the Classic ruleset. So, we can understand he's swamped.

On a side point, I'm pretty sure it's not that the SmiteWorks team can't support GURPS but that they lack an agreement with Steve Jackson Games to do so. Intellectual property rights is a beast that can be hard to navigate and SJG has always guarded their IP jealously. That is understandable. I don't pretend to know where all that stands between SW & SJG but I believe there have been conversations in the past.

We can be very thankful SJG has allowed us to have the community built ruleset. For myself, living in another country, I am glad to be able to still play via FG even if I do miss sitting around the living room table with my friends back home. Not having it would really cripple my ability to play.

I'm just curious - what is involved with the Unity that will make it better than the classic version? The primary reason I got involved with FG was because it did support GURPS at all. Otherwise, I'd likely to never have purchased it.

As I understand it, Unity will offer the same set up as before in the sense that you can purchase the ultimate license (unless I misunderstood!) and still be able to support "demo" users. I'm hoping that UNITY has some good features lacking in the classic version that will make life better overall for the GM. If that is the case, then I'm willing at the moment to spend what it takes to upgrade to Unity.

So, what is involved with Unity? Can anyone say or is this something that will have to wait until Unity is no longer in beta testing?

I may be wrong, but I believe that in the ruleset itself there will be no changes except those listed in the first topic, as far as unity is concerned that the improvement is 64 bit engine support, with time being cross platform, windows, linux and macOS, the improvement of the maps and I believe that in the future I can apply the kind of vision besides the LOS and I think over time a kind of motion counter. With that I believe that the battles will be much more exciting and then the master will have more concern to narrate than to be operating things to work, oh and I forgot the best of all with the new connection method in a more headache with the portforward.

Quote Originally Posted by HalC View Post
    ... I'm hoping that UNITY has some good features lacking in the classic version that will make life better overall for the GM. ...
    It definitely does/will. On a fundamental level, it's 64 bit capability means that the size of the maps that it can handle will greatly increase. This means that instead of chopping up our maps into smaller bits and presenting them to our players in a discontinuous fashion, we'll be able use larger scale maps with resolution that is high enough for single encounters.

The superior drawing tools are also something that I am highly excited about.

I assume that you have seen the videos and such that came out about the features of Unity? LOS and all that jazz?

Just wandering around here for the last few months has shown that there is large increase of Gurps interest (# of folks checking out the Gurps forums etc.) I think it is fair to say that this increase in interest has been sparked by the looming release of FGU. I think it is also fair to say that developers of future Gurps stuff (extensions etc.) will be oriented towards FGU and not FGC.

I am a total Newb. I have the Gurps 4 edition books. How do I get set up for a game ? If anyone has a Link as to How to set up, I'd appreciate it.

Thread Information