DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 44 of 58 First ... 34424344454654 ... Last
    Thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong.

"There is no intention to do anything with Vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    There is no intention to do anything with Vehicles.
    Vehicles are only there because they are part of CoreRPG.
    I was going to remove them but it was requested that they be kept.
    How come?

Vehicles are a big mechanic of the CoC system. You have the armour it grants players, the bulk and the speed for car-related chases. Completely glossing over that is cutting off a good chunk of the game rules itself.

If you do not feel like you do not want to do anything with it, so be it. However, could I at the very least ask for a reason why you would gloss over it? This is basically robbing players and keepers of a mechanic that is expected to be inside the Fantasy Grounds module.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbroccoli View Post
    How come?

Vehicles are a big mechanic of the CoC system. You have the armour it grants players, the bulk and the speed for car-related chases. Completely glossing over that is cutting off a good chunk of the game rules itself.

If you do not feel like you do not want to do anything with it, so be it. However, could I at the very least ask for a reason why you would gloss over it? This is basically robbing players and keepers of a mechanic that is expected to be inside the Fantasy Grounds module.

Thank you in advance.
    I agree, and this is why:

As far as i am aware vehicles are an important aspect of this game, just like traveling in D&D is. The ruleset should have it, as it is written on the steam page "This ruleset contains the core rules...etc". If it doesn't have the full vehicle part I would almost go as far as to say this is false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbroccoli View Post
    How come?

Thank you in advance.
    I agree. Vehicles stats are part of the core rules, and they are not implemented in the ruleset. As it stands, the ruleset is incomplete.

One other that annoyed me when I ran my first CoC game yesterday was that none of the illustrations in the core book (or the Investigator's Handbook) are saved as images in the dataset. Monster illustrations are present in their stat blocks, but not in a way where I could share them with the players without also sharing the stat block and description with them. Is that something that could maybe be fixed in a future version?

Blog Entries
    Long day - let me rephrase this -

There is not one single bookmark in the PDF, nor one mention in the Index of the Hardback volume of Vehicles. Vehicles are largely referenced as extensions of what the PCs are doing.

When we initially built the ruleset Vehicles didnt exist as a data type and even after they were added to Fantasy Grounds they were a placeholder with no details.

Our reading of the rules suggested that Vehicles in most places were extensions of the Investigators. Here are some examples -
    "A vehicle’s speed depends on a driver’s skill..."
    "Vehicles may engage in combat using the regular combat rules, substituting Drive Auto skill for both Fighting and Dodge skills. Treat the vehicle as a weapon that inflicts 1D10 damage per point of build..."
    "If a character or vehicle seeks to trip, push, or otherwise cause their opponent to lose control, this can be achieved with a fighting maneuver."

The ruleset contains the tables used for Vehicular Collisions, The Reference Charts for Vehicles, The rules for using Vehicles in Chases and Combat. In no way is anything about Vehicles omitted from the Fantasy Grounds product.

What isnt implemented is a system dedicated to engaging in car wars. Call of Cthulhu is a game of Investigation and the focus of the rules is on Investigation and Role Play. The ruleset also focuses on these.

You mention that "vehicles are an important aspect of this game, just like traveling in D&D is". How is travelling "implemented" in a virtual tabletop? The party travel along the Kings Way. The GM rolls a random encounter. What is the mechanical implementation of Travel in D&D?

I must say that I totally agree with damned. Vehicles are really really not the big deal in Call of Cthulhu. The examples given by damned are correct and the ruleset provides anything you need to manage that.
    Please have a try on it and you will see. I've been using this ruleset a lot since it has been released, as a Keeper and as a player, and I never had to complain about it.
    Ultimate license holder
    Pref : Cthulhu and savage Worlds

After rereading the vehicle rules I have to say that I grudgingly agree. I would prefer if each vehicle 'item' in the dataset (Cadillac Type 55, for example) had a listing of its corresponding MOV, Build, Armor and Passengers, but that information isn't in the rulebook either.

I stand by my point about illustrations being implemented in a weird and not very useful manner, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DireLlama View Post
    Monster illustrations are present in their stat blocks, but not in a way where I could share them with the players without also sharing the stat block and description with them.
    Ensure the creature is not ID'd before you share them and all you get is the image and the flavour text.

For example:

Personally I think this is a great touch as, in Call of Cthulhu, I often prefer a description over an image. I believe this is the only ruleset that does this (sharing an image and description together) and I like it and feel it fits in well with the feel of Call of Cthulhu.

I agree that it would be nice for the images throughout the reference manual to be able to be shared individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 1st, 2020 at 15:48.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Ensure the creature is not ID'd before you share them and all you get is the image and the flavour text.
    That's a solid idea. Thanks, I will do that in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Long day - let me rephrase this -

There is not one single bookmark in the PDF, nor one mention in the Index of the Hardback volume of Vehicles. Vehicles are largely referenced as extensions of what the PCs are doing.

When we initially built the ruleset Vehicles didnt exist as a data type and even after they were added to Fantasy Grounds they were a placeholder with no details.

Our reading of the rules suggested that Vehicles in most places were extensions of the Investigators. Here are some examples -
    "A vehicle’s speed depends on a driver’s skill..."
    "Vehicles may engage in combat using the regular combat rules, substituting Drive Auto skill for both Fighting and Dodge skills. Treat the vehicle as a weapon that inflicts 1D10 damage per point of build..."
    "If a character or vehicle seeks to trip, push, or otherwise cause their opponent to lose control, this can be achieved with a fighting manoeuvre."

The ruleset contains the tables used for Vehicular Collisions, The Reference Charts for Vehicles, The rules for using Vehicles in Chases and Combat. In no way is anything about Vehicles omitted from the Fantasy Grounds product.

What isn't implemented is a system dedicated to engaging in car wars. Call of Cthulhu is a game of Investigation and the focus of the rules is on Investigation and Role Play. The ruleset also focuses on these.

You mention that "vehicles are an important aspect of this game, just like travelling in D&D is". How is travelling "implemented" in a virtual tabletop? The party travel along the King's Way. The GM rolls a random encounter. What is the mechanical implementation of Travel in D&D?
    Page 176 in investigators handbook there is a Make/model, year, seating, build and MOV chart for vehicles. (hardcover.)
    Page 145 in the keeper's handbook is a vehicle reference chart that speaks of MOV, BUILD, armour for people and passengers. (Hardcover)

As for travelling in DND, the mechanic around this would be that players would make rolls to make sure that they would not get lost. Maybe they enter a certain cold area and need to make constitution saving throws that stop them from getting one point of exhaustion. I don't see why this comment you made is even relevant?

All we expected from this ruleset is for the assets to at the very least be in the ruleset & that vehicle would be added which would at the very least allow us to add build, armour to players, MOV and passengers.

The entire module does not feel complete.
    Last edited by Chewbroccoli; April 1st, 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Grammar

Thread Information