STAR TREK 2d20
Page 56 of 58 First ... 6465455565758 Last

Hi,

I used "Prone" as a name in my example, which turned out to be a mistake. I didn't mean to refer to the rules. The problem is that a mod does not modify the skill level as it should, instead it modifies the dice roll result which gives the wrong end effect. The problem is the same for CoC6. CoC7 and BRP, it's to bad if the same solution cannot be used, as it would save some time.

Blog Entries
    In Call of Cthulhu you have two mechanisms to adjust the difficulty -

The Keeper (or the situation) may declare that it requires a Regular, Hard or Extreme success and you can have Penalty and Bonus Dice.

The first mechanic is you need to roll under:
    * Regular - your skill
    * Hard - half your skill
    * Extreme - one fifth of your skill

The second mechanic adds an additional 10s dice to the throw and you keep the highest/lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I used "Prone" as a name in my example, which turned out to be a mistake. I didn't mean to refer to the rules. The problem is that a mod does not modify the skill level as it should, instead it modifies the dice roll result which gives the wrong end effect. The problem is the same for CoC6. CoC7 and BRP, it's to bad if the same solution cannot be used, as it would save some time.
    As @damned mentions, difficulty in CoC 7e is regular/hard/extreme - which modifies the target needed; plus there are bonus/penalty dice to further adjust difficulty. Numerical modifiers aren't standard in CoC 7e - I'm only guessing at the designers intent for this, but I imagine it's to remove the need to make regular/hard/extreme calculations on the fly if the target number is adjusted.

As you note, numerical "modifiers" adjust the dice rolled. But in my testing they also adjust the target number - I haven't done exhaustive testing, and don't have access to the ruleset source code, so I don't know if this is actually the case but it seems to be in my testing with skill rolls. So, unless you're just using regular numerical modifiers (damage, table rolls, etc.), I'd recommend you don't use numerical modifiers for skill rolls in the CoC 7e ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hi,

As stated by damned and trenloe, the CoC 7e rules are different to standard BRP and one of the main changes is to not support numeric modifiers to skill rolls. These are replaced by difficulty and bonus and penalty dice. If you search the 7e rules, you will not find references to modifying skill rolls except in the conversion notes where you are told to either ignore the modifiers or consider changing the difficulty or applying bonus or penalty dice to the roll.

P. 394 Keepers Rulebook

Skill Modifiers
    Where small skill modifiers (of +5 or less) are listed these may be ignored.
    To approximate this, assume that a bonus die means a +20% chance, and that a penalty die means a –20% chance.
    If a listed modifier seems significant to the Keeper, consider either changing the difficulty level or applying a penalty or bonus die depending on the situation. This may cause some skill rolls to become less likely to succeed, but players now have the option to push the roll.

My apologies to damned, Trenloe and ianmward, I should not have posted my concerns in this forum but in the Basic Roleplaying forum only. Sorry for taking up your time.

/Peter

Might be worth getting these videos and inventory bits in a sticky note for the ruleset.

Hello Damned, is there any way in COC7 to put in the combat tracker, armor and attacks stats for your character? Eg inputting 1D6 for armor and for attacks: spear 35%. I have put them in manually and it works fine until you delete the character out of the combat tracker then the information is gone when you drag the same character back into the combat tracker. I hope that makes sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac77 View Post
    Hello Damned, is there any way in COC7 to put in the combat tracker, armor and attacks stats for your character? Eg inputting 1D6 for armor and for attacks: spear 35%. I have put them in manually and it works fine until you delete the character out of the combat tracker then the information is gone when you drag the same character back into the combat tracker. I hope that makes sense.
    can you post a picture of how you are currently doing it?

Blog Entries
    Ok. It looks like at some point the code that HID those fields might have gotten lost.
    Generally this data does not go in for players on the CT.
    The data is in a completely different format for NPCs and Players so there isnt a clean way to bring this data over.
    Additionally - players cant see these fields at all on their CT view...

Ok, no worries, thank you.

Thread Information