Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

How to back up AppData folder to OneDrive automatically?

Not really a tech issue, but I recently needed to reinstall Windows 10 from a corrupted update. I backed everything up from my Documents folder, but totally forgot to back up my AppData folder. I lost ALL of my FG data in there.

If I wanted to have OneDrive automatically back up that folder periodically, does anyone know how I would do that?
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Also, look at Carbonite. I prefer it over MicroSoft's solution... (If you're interested in Carbonite, drop me a PM, I'll send you a "refer a friend" code which will save you $20.)

DO NOT setup any sync application to point directly at your Fantasy Grounds app data directory. You can get corrupted data this way.

If you want something like this setup an offline backup/sync that only runs when FG is not running - i.e. copy files off somewhere else and then sync from there, or run a backup application when FG isn't running. Do not run OneDrive, Box, DropBox, Google Drive, etc. directly against your FG app data directory.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    I feel your pain as I am a onedrive user... I think the cheapest backup solution you could run, that is highly reliable, is to plug a thumb drive in the back of your computer. At the end of every session (or even the start), simply copy it to a new folder on the thumb drive. The key is to copy to a new folder and not overwrite the old backup. This way if your backup fails, you have.. well.... a backup! after a month or two you can delete old saves. But always keep the most recent few. There are even better solutions that cost more, but this is the absolute cheapest alternative to cloud backups. (Cloud backup can be cheaper and better, but this is number 2)
    Check out my art albums on FG!
    I own an Ultimate License, all WOTC D&D stuffs, and the SW rules.

What you could do is setup a batch file that will run FG, and then after FG exits copies the campaign folders to a synced location.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyFan View Post
    I think the cheapest backup solution you could run, that is highly reliable, is to plug a thumb drive in the back of your computer. At the end of every session (or even the start), simply copy it to a new folder on the thumb drive.
    It's only highly reliable until the USB drive fails. If you use this solution, you should rotate between two or more USB drives, and keep one off-site (at work or a friend's house).

Blog Entries
    I agree with Andraax and Nylanfs here... USB keys are good until they are not or until the are lost.
    Make a batch file to zip up your campaign folder and copy the zip to the One Drive path....

Would it be possible to put in a feature request for an update? Maybe a setting where you could say where you want to back it up after say, 5 closes?
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    What you could do is setup a batch file that will run FG, and then after FG exits copies the campaign folders to a synced location.
    I would then run the batch file instead of the executable?
    Ultimate Licence holder

But I'm learning!

I think that what might be helpful from those chaps suggestion running a batch file is further elucidation of what a batch file is and how would one go about creating such a thing and what would it consist of
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information