5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

[LVL] and [HLVL] Effects

This apparently isn't a 'new' issue but I just realized that the [LVL] and [HLVL] effects make use of character level rather than spell class level... does this make sense? Since effects are always tide to a spell class and usually these effects are based on caster level rather than character level.. and if you had a special ability that made use of character level you could just add a spell class that was set to character level to accommodate this ... doesn't it make sense that it should be caster level (ie spell class level) rather than character level?
    Commenting here.. and I'll post it to the idea informer.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Won't it depend on the ruleset?

I can't think of anything in the 5e ruleset for example which feeds off the character's caster level. Mind you I can't think of anything off hand which relies on their character level either. Some more concrete examples might be in order
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about 5e but there are a variety of things in PFRPG that rely on caster level or half caster level for the effect. If the effect isn't used in 5e then I guess it's not really relevant there. In PFRPG multiclassing allows characters to have a character level that differs from their caster level... for example there are domain abilities that allow a cleric to add half their caster level to damage. If they took 6 levels in cleric and 4 levels in fighter.. they would add +3 to damage not +5. There are a number of abilities that work this way.

Isn't there a box on the 3.5 sheet that allows for the insertion of the caster level for this purpose?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    There is but the [LVL] and [HLVL] effects are not tied to it even though they can only exist within a given spell class, they are tied to character level instead. I'm suggesting that this should be otherwise.

Ah, ok I see what you are getting at. Serves me right for getting involved in a 3.5 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfoot View Post
    This apparently isn't a 'new' issue but I just realized that the [LVL] and [HLVL] effects make use of character level rather than spell class level... does this make sense?
    Yep, it make sense because it is specifically for character level. Effects are not just restricted to spells, they can be used for feats, class abilities, etc..

There might be the case for additional effect entries: [CLVL] and [HCLVL] for caster level. But what would happen for multiple spell caster classes/spell-like abilities? Which caster level would be used?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    The logic is that it SHOULD take the level from the spell class in which the effect is created. All effects must be generated from a spell class.. so.. that seems like it would flow naturally. If you had varied caster levels.. then you would have varied spell classes no? I know I always do.

And in the case that you represent where CL == Character level.. a separate full level spell class can be created for handling feats.
    This really SHOULD be LVL == spell class level. A second tag isn't necessary.

Thread Information