DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Cloak of Displacement, Shield spell, and an effects question

I noticed something when I was trying to set up Cloak of Displacement ( 2 effects set to SELF and NEVER with no round set: CoD; GRANTDISATK, and REMOVE: CoD; GRANTDISATK) with a 'fall off' effect that the players could activate when they take a hit (1 effect set to SELF and NEVER with 1 round set: GRANTADVATK). When I set the 3rd effect up to fall off after 1 round, I realized that the effect was falling off at the top of the round, and not on the target's turn.

EX: 5 characters in the combat tracker.
    #4 atks #3.
    #3 uses SHIELD.
    #4 and #5 are affected by SHIELD on their turns.
    #1 starts a new round.
    Instead of the SHIELD effect persisting until #3's turn, the effect falls off on #1's turn.

The reason this stood out to me is because in previous versions, I had the SHIELD spell effect set up like this: Shield; AC: 5 with Target being SELF and NEVER for 1 round. Everytime I used it, the effect would persist past the beginning of a round until it reached my turn again, and then would automatically fall off, no input needed.

This set up worked this way in 3.2.0 (though I do remember sometimes there were problems with it) but now it seems to drop off at the start of a new round, no matter where the target is in the tracker.

Any help, advice, or counciling on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: and I just realized this is in the wrong forum..... Can a mod please move this to the appropriate place? Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Grayfigure; November 16th, 2016 at 14:40.

Just to make sure you are talking about 5e right?

If so effects which last for 1 round will be removed during your turn. If you want it to be removed at some other point you'll need to alter (or rather your DM will need to alter) the 'Initiative to Adjust on' box in the Combat Tracker.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the reply. To clarify:

yes, its in 5e. And I WANT the effect to drop off on the turn of the target....but its not. it seems to be dropping off at the start of the round, no matter who is at the top of the round. I'll check the Initiative to Adjust box.

I've just tested in v3.2.1 (no extensions loaded) and this works fine for me - the effects is applied to expire on the Init value of the character that applied it to SELF.

If you're not the GM, ask them to check what the "Initiative to Adjust On" value is set to in the effects entry on the combat tracker - this controls the Init vale when the duration is reduced by one.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Zacchaeus and Trenloe! I was the DM on the table in question, and pointing me to the adjust init box pointed out the issue I was having. Apparently, when I was testing the set up effects, forgot to ROLL INITIATIVES for my example targets. Since there was no Init for the Adjustor to pull from, it seemingly defaulted to adjusting at the beginning of the Round. Aka - DM is an idiot lol. Thanks a lot guys!

EDIT: after help from both Zacchaeus and Trenloe, the effect I was trying to set up for cloak of displacement now works! Here's what I did:

Effect 1: CoD; GRANTDISATK set for 0 rounds, self in the Targeting box, and never in the Expend box.

Effect 2: REMOVE: CoD; GRANTDISATK set for 0 rounds, self in the Targeting box, and never in the Expend box (This button is merely to remove the total effect; I've found there are times where you need to remove the total effect,
    and this gives both the DM and player a quick removal tool; you need the effect removal extension to create this button).

Effect 3: GRANTADVATK set for 1 round, self in the Targeting box, and never in the Expend box (This third effect is only activated when the owner of the cloak takes damage and resumes functioning normally at the beginning of the
    owner's next turn).

While the overall effect is minor, this gives the DM the ability to create an item that can be activated/deactivated, and also have the effect be negated when damage is taken, and not have to worry about reactivating it when needs to turn back on, cause it will do it for you.
    Last edited by Grayfigure; November 16th, 2016 at 17:25.

Thread Information