DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Adventure Cards

Adventure Cards

In about 3 days (Halloween), I will be hosting my first Savage Worlds game as a GM. I am not especially worried, but I'd like to do as good a job as possible. In some ways, I am 'selling' Savage Worlds to my players - who have been in a D&D 5e campaign since January - hence an underlying desire for the game to come off as smoothly as possible.

One unresolved issue is in regards to Adventure Cards. I noted that, after playing an adventure card, I could not play another. How does one re-enable the ability to play adventure cards? I ask because invariably someone will play one and wish to retract it OR someone will play one when I do the rules walk-through.

If there are other things that have session limited uses, I'd like to be aware of them. Thanks in advance!

Tim

A long note to any D&D fans curious about my interest in Savage Worlds...

It is and always has been my practice to follow a long D&D campaign with any thing that is not fantasy-based. I've seen stats that suggest that around 80-85% of the games played on FG are fantasy-based (5e soaking 56% by itself). Me, if I ate baloney all the time, I would eventually want something - anything - different. I don't even understand how all of the other RPG genres can represent such a small portion of play time - unless you just have a bunch of peeps that love baloney and only baloney. I gotta have a PB&J or a hotdog or something different from time to time. I don't understand being ok with just fantasy to the exclusion of all other genres such as horror, pulp, sci-fi, western, super heroes, dystopian, etc.

Anyhow, Savage Worlds can serve me hotdogs, PB&J, roast-beef sandwiches, chili-cheese fries and even baloney. It has settings in many, many different genres. Of significant importance to me, it also reduces the time spent resolving combat by around 50% compared to 5e. I like roleplaying and I will have a lot more of it happening since a series of encounters will not soak as much time.

When I do get back to eating a baloney sandwich, it will probably be done with 5e. Probably.

For those wondering, Savage Worlds accounts for approximately 6% of the game play traffic. It is the first non-fantasy centered game and #4 in terms of system popularity. As I mentioned earlier, I don't quite understand why the numbers aren't higher - except that people must love baloney - er, fantasy - to the exclusion of all other genres OR simply be unwilling to experiment much.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
    In about 3 days (Halloween), I will be hosting my first Savage Worlds game as a GM. I am not especially worried, but I'd like to do as good a job as possible. In some ways, I am 'selling' Savage Worlds to my players - who have been in a D&D 5e campaign since January - hence an underlying desire for the game to come off as smoothly as possible.

One unresolved issue is in regards to Adventure Cards. I noted that, after playing an adventure card, I could not play another. How does one re-enable the ability to play adventure cards? I ask because invariably someone will play one and wish to retract it OR someone will play one when I do the rules walk-through.

If there are other things that have session limited uses, I'd like to be aware of them. Thanks in advance!

Tim

A long note to any D&D fans curious about my interest in Savage Worlds...

It is and always has been my practice to follow a long D&D campaign with any thing that is not fantasy-based. I've seen stats that suggest that around 80-85% of the games played on FG are fantasy-based (5e soaking 56% by itself). Me, if I ate baloney all the time, I would eventually want something - anything - different. I don't even understand how all of the other RPG genres can represent such a small portion of play time - unless you just have a bunch of peeps that love baloney and only baloney. I gotta have a PB&J or a hotdog or something different from time to time. I don't understand being ok with just fantasy to the exclusion of all other genres such as horror, pulp, sci-fi, western, super heroes, dystopian, etc.

Anyhow, Savage Worlds can serve me hotdogs, PB&J, roast-beef sandwiches, chili-cheese fries and even baloney. It has settings in many, many different genres. Of significant importance to me, it also reduces the time spent resolving combat by around 50% compared to 5e. I like roleplaying and I will have a lot more of it happening since a series of encounters will not soak as much time.

When I do get back to eating a baloney sandwich, it will probably be done with 5e. Probably.

For those wondering, Savage Worlds accounts for approximately 6% of the game play traffic. It is the first non-fantasy centered game and #4 in terms of system popularity. As I mentioned earlier, I don't quite understand why the numbers aren't higher - except that people must love baloney - er, fantasy - to the exclusion of all other genres OR simply be unwilling to experiment much.
    First of all according to Adventure Deck rules player can play only one of his/her cards (but s/he can have multiple to choose from). By default Adventure Deck extension allows each player to play only one card from their hand. You can see how many remaining card player can play by looking in charsheet's Adventure Card tab, next to the description field (on the left side) there is field that contains card icons, number of cards determines how many cards that player can play. When player drag-and-drop card to chat the "remaining cards" indicator is decreased by one card. As host you can set the "remaining cards" by right clicking on the field and selecting "set card counter". As a host you can also return used cards back to character by holding ALT down and dragging it from the chat (drag from card's grey circle icon) and dropping it on player's character portrait or to adventure cards tab page. This way to card is returned back to player and card counter is increased accordingly.

NOTE: To make return card feature work you must have activated the Adventure Deck module
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Ikael -

Thank you for the very complete response, I appreciate it. The card counter field is EXACTLY what I wanted to know about as it allows me to fix problems OR increase the number of playable cards. Fantastic, again, I appreciate it.

Tim

Blog Entries
    Savage Worlds is 6% of games on this platform because it has got such a great ruleset.
    And that 6% is spread across many many settings and genres - a lot of which you wold still call Fantasy
    Anyways - Savage Worlds is good and trying lots of other things is good too. The main issue with trying (or more accurately - running) new things is the time required to learn a new system.

Thread Information