FG Spreadshirt Swag

Savage Rifts Close Combat Weapon Damage Issues

All,

Running into a snag with close combat weapon damage in Savage Rifts. Many of the weapons deal Strength plus 2 additional die..for example,

Code:
    <id-0008>
    				<name type="string">Impact Maul</name>
    				<group type="string">Powered</group>
    				<catname type="string">Melee Weapons</catname>
    				<type type="number">0</type>
    				<traittype type="string">Melee</traittype>
    				<damage type="string">Str+1d8+1d6</damage>
    				<weight type="number">24</weight>
    				<cost type="string">$16k</cost>
    				<notes type="string">Mega Damage. Raise damage d10, Parry-1, 2 hands.</notes>
    	 </id-0008>
    When parsing this string, with a Strength attribute die of d6, all I get is 3 d6. It should be 2d6 an a d8. If my Strength Attribute die is d4, then all that shows is 3d4. Is there a caveat or a gotcha that I'm overlooking?

Thanks,

GB
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Game in Progress: AD&D 2e - Against the Zhentarim

In Savage Worlds the minimum strength of a melee weapon is equal to it's damage die type. If you lack the minimum Strength, the damage die is capped at your Strength value (and you get no positive benefits of the weapon, such as increased parry or reach). Savage Rifts might do things differently... I don't know.

Litvyak,

That was exactly it. Once I put my Strength at d8, the dice displayed (and rolled correctly). I didn't specify a minimum strength in the code...need to make sure that gets in there.

Thanks a million!

GB
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Minimun strength field on weapon sheet only applies to ranged weapons. In case of melee weapon you can ignore minstr by adding ? to the dsmage field, ie. Str? + d8 + d6
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

Thanks Ikael. I had thought there was a minimum strength requirement I was overlooking for the melee weapons, but there isn't..the system itself handles minimum strength; i.e. if I have a weapon that does Str + 1d8 damage and I only have a d6 Str attribute, I'll only do Str + d8. That being said..if I would put Str +1d8+?3d6 would it ignore the minimum strength value for 3d6, but not the 1d8?

GB

OK..for the Psi-sword, the damage is Str+2xspirit. How can we get this into FG? We've tried a number of variations and while we can get 2 spirit die to roll, we can't figure out how to double the results of the Spirit roll. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    GB

Quote Originally Posted by GunbunnyFuFu View Post
    OK..for the Psi-sword, the damage is Str+2xspirit. How can we get this into FG? We've tried a number of variations and while we can get 2 spirit die to roll, we can't figure out how to double the results of the Spirit roll. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    GB
    I'm not an expert on Savage Rifts, but looking at the example Cyber-Knight in Archetypes 1 it appears that you are supposed to roll 2 Spirit dice, not double the results of one.

Missed that one as well. Thanks Litvyak!

Thread Information