Starfinder Playlist

Thread: Can't use alias

Can't use alias

Hi, I have been encountering an issue for some time with FG classic.
    Usually my players are joining the game using the alias instead of the IP address, but it does not appear to work correctly anymore.
    I have found in the meantime as work around to uncheck the "enable alias" box and have them use the IP address instead, but I would like to be able to use the alias again.
    I do have the enable alias check box on and have generated multiple new aliases. All to no avail.

Moreover I am French-speaking so it is difficult to find a solution in the old messages of the forum.

Thank you in advance.

If you open the console.log in your FG data directory right after launching your campaign with alias turned on,

you should see something like this on the GM console:
    [31.10.2020 15:30:33] Runtime Notice: Refreshing alias
    [31.10.2020 15:30:33] Runtime Notice: Alias refresh result = Success

and something like this on the player console log:
    [31.10.2020 15:35:47] Runtime Notice: Resolving alias
    [31.10.2020 15:35:48] Runtime Notice: Alias translate result = #.#.#.#
    [31.10.2020 15:35:48] Runtime Notice: User 'JPG' attempting connection to '#.#.#.#:1802' using alias '<alias>'

The alias server is a pretty simple script that accepts your alias and your external IP address; and then returns your IP when someone queries the alias. It's a very simple system, so unless the alias registration is getting blocked by security on the GM machine, or the alias lookup is getting blocked on the player machine, it should work.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information