DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 11 of 13 First ... 910111213 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Whatever rules you use the important thing is to get gaming if you're not, and to stay gaming if you already are - enjoy it regardless.
    Amen, brother!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Blog Entries
    So... there are a couple of old school D&D projects going on...
    Im mid way thru a basic version of the basic/expert variant of the game.
    Its not a full ruleset implementation in that it is built on MoreCore but it will have a full library - reference manual, monsters, spells, equipment, rolls, theme.

But I have too many projects on the go... so Im looking to see if anyone is interested in joining with me to finish this off. Im mostly ok on the coding - its the leg work getting the reference materials into FG that I really need help with.
    So... anyone interested?

Attachment 17324

It looks like you are doing your own retroclone! Im happy to help some leg work

Blog Entries
    If it is cutting and pasting, I can help.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    So... there are a couple of old school D&D projects going on...
    Im mid way thru a basic version of the basic/expert variant of the game.
    Its not a full ruleset implementation in that it is built on MoreCore but it will have a full library - reference manual, monsters, spells, equipment, rolls, theme.

But I have too many projects on the go... so Im looking to see if anyone is interested in joining with me to finish this off. Im mostly ok on the coding - its the leg work getting the reference materials into FG that I really need help with.
    So... anyone interested?

Attachment 17324
    This is based on rules cyclopedia? I could not be more happy!!!!
    Ultimate license holder, do not worry about partecipating Italian DM (gmt+1). check here to find your timezone difference https://everytimezone.com/

- Players live a thousand lives, a DM let live a thousand universes -

damned,

First off, although I never played B/X besides trying once, I am ecstatic to see all these older ones being redone!

One question though, since not familiar with B/X - what is the source for the reference materials? Do they have some open gaming license for some subset of the boxed sets?

I ask because, I know we can't share modules created from older AD&D modules. I know game rules are not copywrited, but I thought the references like spell, item etc descriptions we "content" and protected vs stat bars etc?

I'm not impugning by inference of your asking for outside helpers, it tells me I need to expand my most vague understanding of what is legal to do. it's one reason I never got into looking at creating AD&D stuff because if it is only for me, I have to do 100% of the work but limited in what can share.

Duplicate post
    Last edited by hawkwind; January 8th, 2017 at 20:05.

I was wondering the same which is why I said earlier it looks like Dammed is creating his own retro clone. I'm sure whatever Dammed has planned is legal. Could I suggest snake change from "Dammed Basic Dungeon" to "Basically Dammed" or even " Dungeons of the Dammed" ?

First of all, Damned. Thanks for doing this. It really makes sense that the most rules light version of D&D (after the 1974 version) can be made to work with "only" Morecore and not needing a full ruleset. I say "only" because Morecore really is a ruleset in and of itself and a "Damned" good one at that. And what you've shown here really looks fantastic, but then, that's what we have come to expect from you. You and Trenloe both set the gold standard here.

While I would love to help, I'm really still getting myself up to speed on reference manuals and xml. Perhaps I might feel more confident two or three weeks from now. I'm a quick learner, but I really only seriously started yesterday trying to fiddle with xml for that purpose. If there is anything else could help with, I'm there.

Oh yeah. Talk about setting the tone for a game. The characters are all Damned from the outset. Let's go poke our head into that evil mage's tower. What could possibly go wrong?
    Last edited by vodokar; January 8th, 2017 at 23:32.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Hahaha - the name is just a bit of fun and far from set in stone. Dungeons of the Damned has a nice ring...

Yes... the reference manual and its legalities...

So - rules are not copy writable and nor are stat blocks. I still find this hard to believe but it is what it is and Im happy to take advantage of it.

So basically this is MoreCore plus an extension that adds a basic theme (work in progress), extra NPC fields, some minor name/stat changes plus a Reference Manual, Beastiary and Rolls.

I have in front of me my Basic and Expert rules (not the BECMI ones), Blueholme, Labyrinth Lord which are BX or close to BX, plus I have some OD&D and BECMI materials (originals and clones)... and a lot of this stuff is not protectable in a rewritten form... I have two options - I can release under OGL and can then copy and paste much of the Monsters and Spells or I can rewrite these and ignore the OGL altogether. I am undecided just yet as to which way to go. So far I have been rewriting all the material in my own words and using only those sections that resonate for me and my experience. As a collaborative effort using the OGL and copy and paste will be easier but it would be nice to ditch the OGL and just rewrite stuff...
    Most of the Monsters (so far) all have names that belong in the Public Domain. Spells like Lightning, Fireball, Magic Missile etc are free of copyright. Names like Tensers Floating Disc are protected but Floating Disc or Magic Disc cannot be protected. Items like a potion of healing, ring of protection, flame-tongue sword etc are free of copyright. There is a lot of room to move and simply ignore the OGL but it might be simpler to use it.

Using the OGL means that spells and spells descriptions, monsters and monster descriptions can be used wholesale (from the OGL and not from my current reference books)....

I have purchased some stock art and have sourced some PD token images.

So... hawkwind and Myrdin Potter (and anyone else that might like to jump in - Vodokar you need to concentrate on your release) if you would like to work together on this or even just discuss it further.... damian at sydneyit dot net will find me.

Thread Information