DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 10 of 13 First ... 89101112 ... Last
    You mentioned "uninspired ones" out there. I have no idea if Adventures Dark and Deep is well know enough to be noticed and if it is, whether it is considered "good" or not in general among the clones or near clones. I had grabbed a few of the rulebooks for several (concentrating on free ones, but by now I also have more mainstream ones like C&C purchased also) and only looked at them in scanning sense since busy learning Savage and Swift (meaning Worlds and the computer lang ) instead with my "copious free time."

The LOOK of the ADD ruleset caught my attention, but other than reading C&C through the classes section and skimming CK book, I haven't read any of these well.

What I am asking is pure opinion, so please keep that in mind on replies, no Holy Wars please. It isn't like I'm asking "tabs vs spaces" or "braces on next line or same line" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    What I am asking is pure opinion, so please keep that in mind on replies, no Holy Wars please. It isn't like I'm asking "tabs vs spaces" or "braces on next line or same line" ...
    Tabs, same line. Anything else is blasphemy!
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Absolutely, Damned. It's all a matter of opinion and how one decides to define it. Virtually all modern games and video games owe a lot to D&D and have some of it's DNA to lesser or greater degree. And, I'll definitely say that a game like Labrynth Lord has a lot more of that DNA than some of the other games we mentioned.

My point was simply not to write off all OSR or OSR inspired games simply because a person might think they are not original enough. In many cases, that feeling is based on not actually looking closely enough to find out what merit the game might have that is original. That is all I meant.

In this day and age, we don't have to only play one game all the time. It's good to switch things up sometimes and try new or different things.

For me, the driving force is usually adventure modules. I don't like converting them from one system to another, because I feel too much is lost in the translation. If I see an adventure I want to experience, I want to play it in the system it was originally intended for.
    Last edited by vodokar; December 3rd, 2016 at 00:34.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    Absolutely, Damned. It's all a matter of opinion and how one decides to define it. Virtually all modern games and video games owe a lot to D&D and have some of it's DNA to lesser or greater degree. And, I'll definitely say that a game like Labrynth Lord has a lot more of that DNA than some of the other games we mentioned.

My point was simply not to write off all OSR or OSR inspired games simply because a person might think they are not original enough. In many cases, that feeling is based on not actually looking closely enough to find out what merit the game might have that is original. That is all I meant.

In this day and age, we don't have to only play one game all the time. It's good to switch things up sometimes and try new or different things.

For me, the driving force is usually adventure modules. I don't like converting them from one system to another, because I feel too much is lost in the translation. If I see an adventure I want to experience, I want to play it in the system it was originally intended for.
    Maybe I was unclear in my post, if so I'll try to better explain myself. What I meant was that my meaning of "old school" is instrumental from the acceptance of all the old rules nuances, inconveniences, unbalances, etc of older systems.
    To correct them means to change the "real" experience, and it becomes a "modern vintage" feel.
    Thus said, I'm more than willing to play any "stuff & stuff" game togheter, moder vintage or old school or sci fi or whatever; after all rpg are about having fun togheter, not to sanctify some ruleset over another.
    This mindset spans over adventure modules too, in fact I totally agree with vodokar: too much is lost in the translations, so in my opinion is way better to play games in their original system/edition, as they were meant to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterionaisien View Post
    Maybe I was unclear in my post, if so I'll try to better explain myself. What I meant was that my meaning of "old school" is instrumental from the acceptance of all the old rules nuances, inconveniences, unbalances, etc of older systems.
    To correct them means to change the "real" experience, and it becomes a "modern vintage" feel.
    Thus said, I'm more than willing to play any "stuff & stuff" game togheter, moder vintage or old school or sci fi or whatever; after all rpg are about having fun togheter, not to sanctify some ruleset over another.
    This mindset spans over adventure modules too, in fact I totally agree with vodokar: too much is lost in the translations, so in my opinion is way better to play games in their original system/edition, as they were meant to be.
    Haha.
    Maybe I was unclear in my post.

Im thinking your definition of retro clone might be your definition of retro clone.
    So Ill rephrase.... your definition of retro clone is your definition of retro clone.
    There Thats better.
    And my definition of retro clone is my definition

AD&D is not the first D&D. There is OD&D and the original Basic rules were also happening at a very similar time.
    And then there are things like Unearthed Arcana.
    D&D for some remains static, a specific version, while for others its a tweak here and a tweak there (you know the rules tell you to house rule but then there are other quotes suggesting that if yu are house riling it you are not playing D&D) and then there are others always looking to step it up, to try new stuff, to move forward.

So I accept that you prefer the original system/edition.
    But for me I believe that there is lots of grey there too

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    But for me I believe that there is lots of grey there too
    Yeah, I totally agree with you.

Likewise.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    With OSRIC, I appreciated the much clearer explanations of some of the AD&D rules, but the changes to the XP tables were annoying. I definitely prefer the original as well, but I am totally happy playing DCC, LL, S&W, etc. without worrying about the nuances.

I collect retro-clones and OSR games. They are fun and it's nice to see different approaches to things. I may not play them all but I enjoy them. Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC in particular because I still have my old D&D books and they basically act as supplements.

Blog Entries
    Whatever rules you use the important thing is to get gaming if you're not, and to stay gaming if you already are - enjoy it regardless.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information