DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last

[Extension] - Theogeek's Improved Critical (added icon by Glassstaff!)

NOTE!
    This extension is being updated here: 5E - Theogeek's Improved Critical

AUTHOR: Is FGU & FGC compatible (updates as of 12 July 2020).

---------------- Version 3.1 ----------------
    Download: ImprovedCritical_3.1.ext (rev 3.1)

Changed method of handling the handlers. Makes this play well with others.
    ------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Version 3.1 still contains the menu option introduced in 2.3a called "Temporary calculation fix" [On* | Off]. The purpose of this option is to fix a bug in the 5E ruleset in the way that damage is calculated if the damage is critical and the target is immune, resistant, or vulnerable to one of the damage types.

I have tested this as far as I could and it worked for every scenario I ran it through, but there may be side-effects I haven't encountered yet. If you would, please use this version with this new option set to "On" and report any errors you may see. If you set it to "Off", it will revert back to the standard 5E ruleset method for computing damage.

The bug is on the radar to be fixed, but all of the effort is going towards Unity (which is the right way to do it) so it may be a while until the actual fix makes it in.

If I don't hear about any errors in this, this band-aid will be included in future releases of this extension until such time as the 5E ruleset is updated.

Please use this to test the damage calculation and report back!

============

Hey all!

So, I made this extension because I have had players be consistently disappointed in critical hits that do less damage than a standard hit. This extension only modifies the RAW to max the standard damage dice. All else is equal. For example, a half-orc with 18 strength (and no other bonuses) wielding a greatsword, if he crits, will do:

MAX(2d6) + bonuses + 3d6 = 12 + 4 + 3d6

The 3d6 is the crit damage: weapon dice (2d6) + the Half-Orc's Savage Attack bonus (1d6).

That same half-orc with a greataxe does:
    Max(1d12) + 4 + 2d12 = 12 + 4+ 2d12.

Without the extension, a half-orc critical with a greatsword might look like this:

With the extension enabled, a half-orc critical with a greatsword might look like this:

(Note: the output "D1=4(6)" means that the first damage dice was originally rolled as a "4" but was maxxed to a "6")

This extension ONLY guarantees that any critical attack will do at least the maximum damage of the weapon used (i.e. it raises the floor). It does not guarantee maximum damage (unless the options are set for it to do maximum damage), and it will never do greater maximum damage than a critical without this extension.

Have fun with it and let me know if you have any additional ideas!

Thanks to everyone who helped (check out https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-a-global-rule if you want to follow the discussion as to how this came about.)
    Jeff.

Option settings:

Combat Settings -> Improved Critical -> Dice to maximize = [Damage Dice | Critical Dice | Both | None] - Defaults to "Damage Dice"
    - Damage Dice = All damage dice are maxxed, critical dice are rolled
    - Critical Dice = All critical dice are maxxed (including extra critical dice from features like Savage Critical, Brutal Critical, etc.), damage dice are rolled
    - Both = All damage AND all critical dice are maxxed
    - None = revert to standard critical damage handler

Combat Settings -> Improved Critical -> Include effect dice [No | Yes] - Defaults to "Yes"
    - No = Damage dice from effects are rolled as normal
    - Yes = Damage dice from effects (such as sneak attack) are included in the calculations above
    - Note: This option is dependent on the method chosen. For example, if the maxxing is "Damage Dice" and this is "Yes", then the normal damage and the effect damage will be maxxed.
    - Note: If the maxxing is "Both" and "Include effect dice = Yes", on a critical hit, you will do the maximum possible damage from all dice so be careful.

Combat Settings -> Improved Critical -> Max if target has critical immunity [No | Yes] - Defaults to "No"
    - No = Effectively bypasses this extension and rolls damage for a critical hit normally if the target has the "IMMUNE: critical" effect (i.e. no maxxing of anything regardless of other options selected for this extension)
    - Yes = Maxxes normal damage on a critical hit, even if the target is critical immune, if the "Dice to maximize" setting is set to "Damage Dice" or "Both"

Combat Settings -> Improved Critical -> Show die rolls for targets [First only | Crit immune | All ] - Defaults to "First only"
    Note: This setting is only useful when multiple targets are critically hit in one attack and there is a mix of crit immune and non-crit immune targets. Mainly, this is to help the DM understand what happens if "Max if target has critical immunity" is set to "No" since that setting will override maxxing and roll damage for targets that are immune to critical damage, which makes the damage done to a critical immune target different from the displayed roll for non critical immune targets.
    - First only = Only display the damage roll for the first target hit (this is the normal Fantasy Grounds behavior)
    - Crit immune = Display the die roll for the first target hit and all crit immune targets
    - All = Display the die rolls for all targets hit

Combat Settings -> Improved Critical -> Disable critical damage dice [Remove crit dice | Force crits to 0 | No] - Defaults to "No"
    Note: This setting is intended to make damage from critical hits behave like damage from normal hits, effectively disabling critical damage. This will NOT override other settings from this extension (such as maxxing normal damage and effect damage).
    Note: Enabling this option will basically make abilities like Savage Attack and Brutal Critical useless, so only use this if your table wants to ignore critical damage entirely.
    - Remove crit dice = Remove critical damage dice from the roll entirely such that they don't show up in the chat window at all, and are not included in any calculation
    - Force crits to 0 = Keep the critical dice in the roll, but set their values to 0
    - No = critical hits create critical damage as expected

---- Updated (12 July 2020) ----
    Version 3.1
    - Update to be consistent with the way Unity now computes damage

---- Updated (05 May 2020) ----
    Version 3.0
    - Change way handlers are handled.
    - Many thanks to kentmccullough for working to get our extensions working together!

---- Updated (18 April 2020) ----
    Version 2.4
    - Added new option "Disable critical damage dice"
    - Minor code improvement

---- Updated (9 December 2019) ----
    Version 2.3
    - Renamed options and selections to make it more understandable
    - Added new option "Show die rolls for targets"
    - Slightly changed output to show the original roll and the roll calculated from the Improved Critical function (for example, the output D1=4(6) means that the original roll was "4" and the extension maxxed it to a "6")

---- Updated (30 November 2019) -----
    Version 2.2:
    - General cleanup
    - Replaced temporary bug fix from version 2.1 with an actual fix

---- Updated (28 November 2019) -----
    Version 2.1:
    - BUGFIX...this works, but is temporary. It will be replaced when the code is cleaner.

---- Updated (21 November 2019) -----
    Version 2.0:
    - Refactor to use onDamage instead of onDamageRoll
    - Add option to roll damage dice if target is immune to critical damage (basically ignores this extension)
    - Ignore this extension if the critical hit is due to the Chaos Bolt spell

---- Updated (15 July 2019) -----
    Version 1.9:
    - Fix coding error in wrapper

---- Updated (5 July 2019) ------
    Version 1.8:
    - Add icon created by Glassstaff - thanks Glassstaff!
    - Refactor the code to make it integrate better with existing ruleset:
    - Add wrapper function to conditionally call either the ImprovedCritical handler or the onDamageRoll handler
    - Remove code copied from ActionDamage.onDamageRoll and simply call that function when necessary

---- Updated (4 March 2019) ------
    Version 1.7:
    - Remove REROLL since that is not in the ActionDamage.onDamageRoll this code replaces.
    - Copy-n-Paste Max damage modifier code from ActionDamage.onDamageRoll.
    - Fix bug in options settings that prevented the ActionDamage.onDamageRoll routine from running when this extension is turned off.
    - Fix bug that included Effect damage, even if it was excluded, if "Max Both" was selected.

Hopefully this is the last of the bugs. If you find something, please let me know!

---- Updated (2 March 2019) ------
    Version 1.6:
    - Make output more descriptive.

Version 1.5:
    - Add support for manual MAX damage modifier (note, HALF already works)
    - Streamline code

---- Updated (25 February 2019) ------
    Improved Critical (new version numbering 1.4) - Add settings item controls as follows:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TheoGeek; February 27th, 2021 at 22:09. Reason: v 3.1 - update for Unity

Nice work!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks! It's pretty cool how you guys made it so extensible. That's pretty awesome!

Well done.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Had to update this to v2 - I forgot to add back in the "if critical" guard around it. It works now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, just talked with one of my groups tonight and we all agreed to start using this. Thanks!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Great job. Nice to have available. I personally love it (as a DM) when people roll two ones plus their modifier on a cirt. Hilarious. As a player... I HATE IT!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Does this effect NPC crits as well?

What rulesets does this work for? Any built on CoreRPG?
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by vodokar View Post
    What rulesets does this work for? Any built on CoreRPG?
    Specifically for 5E.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information