DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I think your problem is that the armour calculation will only take account of one armour and one shield. So the ring is possibly overriding the armour and if you gave the ring a type of armour which the PC wasn't proficient with the calculation won't be correct.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

How about Mage Armor? Considering that a character is not wearing armor when using it... would creating Mage Armor be a good option? Right now we're using a spell effect in a game I'm in... but I hate that the AC does not reflect on the Character Sheet and I have to just *assume* it's working as expected when I can't see the rolls being used against me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    How about Mage Armor? Considering that a character is not wearing armor when using it... would creating Mage Armor be a good option? Right now we're using a spell effect in a game I'm in... but I hate that the AC does not reflect on the Character Sheet and I have to just *assume* it's working as expected when I can't see the rolls being used against me.
    You should be able to see the affect on your character in the CT.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Just adjust your AC then. Thats perfectly ok. You can apply an Effect to you that just says Ring of Protection but without any mechanical effects.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    You should be able to see the affect on your character in the CT.
    Yes, I do. But there is still a discrepancy between what's on the Character Sheet and my actual AC. I don't like discrepancies. When I look at my AC on my Character Sheet I'd like it to reflect what my actual AC is. Not look at it, then look at the Combat Tracker, and do some math. I find that to be counter-intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by damned
    Just adjust your AC then. Thats perfectly ok. You can apply an Effect to you that just says Ring of Protection but without any mechanical effects.
    So you're saying: 1) Manually modify the Character Sheet AC and 2) Create/activate a blank effect to run that would indicate that I manually edited my CS and go back and manually edit the CS again after the spell wears off?

Not exactly what I was hoping for...

I did go ahead and create a "Mage Armor" equip-able Armor... but I don't know if there is some potential downside that I'm not considering. As noted earlier by Bruxy, creating an armor item called Ring of Protection won't work because it conflicts with other armor slot items. But Mage Armor can not be used with Armor... so that won't be a problem. I created a Mage Armor item from Leather Armor as a base, removed the subtype "Light Armor" (since the caster isn't proficient with light armor), set the AC to 13, included Dex bonus, lowered the weight to 0... and equipping it seemed to work fine (i.e. proper AC is reflected on my CS). I'd still have to create a blank Combat Tracker effect and equip and un-equip the armor though... don't see a way to have a spell equip or un-equip an item for a single click solution.

I guess I'm with Myrdin when they said:

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter
    I am hoping that magic items get another go through and the parser be augmented to pick them up and automate more and more of them.

Creating an armour item for spells and rings of protection is way more complicated than simply adding an effect which stays on the PC. Whilst your AC will not change in the character sheet FG takes full account of the effect when attack dice gets rolled. This is also, for me anyway, a much clearer way of doing things since in both cases what you have is a magical effect; in other words it isn't part of your armour but something which magically adds to that armour. I'd much rather see that effect on my character than play around with adding bonuses directly into the AC calculation.

Don't forget that for the Ring you are going to have to create other effects for the saving throws as well, anyway. (Unless of course you add a +1 to all saves).

However, each to his own.

As for more automation, this is a fantastic amount of work and huge amounts of code to which you then have to build in all kinds of exceptions. Whilst nothing is impossible I wouldn't hold your breath to see this come in, especially since there is already a robust method available using effects.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    So you're saying: 1) Manually modify the Character Sheet AC and 2) Create/activate a blank effect to run that would indicate that I manually edited my CS and go back and manually edit the CS again after the spell wears off?

Not exactly what I was hoping for...
    the spell lasts for 8 hours... how often do you not have the spell active?
    anyway - only a suggestion - if it doesnt work for you it doesnt work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Hover the mouse over the saving throw entry on the character sheet and use CTRL+Mousewheel to add a permanent bonus (or penalty) to a saving throw. you'll see a little bubble in the top right of the saving throw box showing the permanent bonus being applied.
    Awesome info, thank you!

I've tried to understand why this is difficult to setup. What I don't understand is why effects can't be added to items, then whether they are equipped or not toggles whether they are active or not. What I expected of the character sheet / tabletop environment was to drag the 'magic item' from the Items list drop it on the character, equip it and be done. Not drag onto character sheet, it's nothing more than a description and equipping has no effect at all, have to go to the actions tab (this is not an action taken, just a mostly permanent affect until unequipped or removed) and create a spell or power to create an effect that can get turned off during play and have to repower to make sure it is working as whether it on or not generally isn't readily available. Armor and weapons seem to have a limited version of this built in, but expanding it so can customize the effects on all items seems like it would be an extension of their coding. So sorry to rant, but is there any chance someone is working on applying effects to all items?

Blog Entries
    Welcome mec97006

The codebase is something that has evolved over time. For whatever reasons effects were tied to actors in the Combat Tracker and not to items. This does make the effects more flexible - eg they can account for items, for spells, for terrain, for conditions etc - but it is less intuitive. Other reasons may be more subtle like attunement - putting a ring of protection on your finger may not grant you the bonus immediately if attunement is required, or you already have the maximum number of items attuned etc.

There is at least one extension that will apply effects from items.

Thread Information