DICE PACKS BUNDLE

What's the best Cyberpunk RPG now?

To begin by pointing out the obvious, I am looking for opinions and experiences, not a factual answer to the above question.

There are a variety of options out there for cyberpunk or similar games right now. Shadowrun is probably the most obvious for many of us, but there are plenty of others: Interface 2.0 for Savage Worlds, Cyberpunk, arguably Mutant Chronicles, and so forth. I'm curious what Cyberpunk games people have played and enjoyed over the years, and figured I'd poke around and see if there's anything great out there I'm overlooking, as has often been the case.

Having played all of them (apart from Interface) I can honestly say that SR3 is the best of the lot, with or without the magic element. I've player it both ways (with magic and without) under a number of different GMs and GM'd it myself, and it is, in my opinion, the cream of the crop.

But then again, I happen to like just about all of FASA's stuff

So give Shadow Run v3 a go - I prefer it to v4 or v2 (although a SRv1 Toxic Wave was always fun)

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Cyberpunk 2020
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Second 2020. Had a lot of fun playing a solo..
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Having played all of them (apart from Interface) I can honestly say that SR3 is the best of the lot, with or without the magic element. I've player it both ways (with magic and without) under a number of different GMs and GM'd it myself, and it is, in my opinion, the cream of the crop.
    I have to agree with Shadowrun 3e. I do not like where the Shadowrun Universe expanded with 4e and 5e. 1e you started out and a punk, rebelling aginst the society, now you more or less play as a mercenary...

I am playing 3e right now. Introducing some guys to Shadowrun, begging from 2050!

/H

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop playing!

Now running the first installment of Horizons of the Vast, a Starfinder Campaign, and Kingmaker 2nd ed.

I do share the mixed feelings about the newer editions of Shadowrun, although I do feel a shift towards a wireless Matrix was needed. Cyberpunk isn't like steampunk, which is merely a different past, but is a living near future, where things are logical extensions of technology. I do find 5th's decking rules somewhat suspect, though I like how gear caps the dice pools.

A part of me feels tempted to run the Shadowrun world (absolutely my favorite of the settings) using the Interface 2.0/Savage Worlds rules. Interface's world is too implausible and fantastic to be convincing as cyberpunk, to me, but the Shadowrun rules have always been inelegant at best and clunky to counterproductive at worst.

I wanna see what Cyberpunk 2077 brings to the table. I know it's going to be a while until it is written, but hopefully it goes back to 2020 style and not the 3.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

2020 is still my favorite. Interface Zero 2.0 does have a lot of the flavor of 2020 and Savage Worlds is my favorite multi-genre ruleset, but there is a lot of IZ's universe I would cut-out or simplify. It suffers from a bit of "everything and the kitchen sink".

cyberpunk 2020

Thread Information