5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    This is a great post, Zacchaeus! You might consider adding links to the the 5E Basic Rules and the 5E SRD, so people can see what these contain. It's probably also worth mentioning that people can manually add any information they need that isn't in the Basic Rules or SRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    This is a great post, Zacchaeus! You might consider adding links to the the 5E Basic Rules and the 5E SRD, so people can see what these contain. It's probably also worth mentioning that people can manually add any information they need that isn't in the Basic Rules or SRD.
    Good points; I've updated the first post accordingly.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Hi guys,

I've been talking with some friends about starting a D&D campaign and just ordered hard copies of the PHB, DMG, and MM yesterday. With the whole COVID-19 thing going on, I figured we could play over skype or something similar, which is how I found out about Fantasy Grounds. I just received my hard copies today (gotta love Amazon). Should I return them and buy them on FG instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferton View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been talking with some friends about starting a D&D campaign and just ordered hard copies of the PHB, DMG, and MM yesterday. With the whole COVID-19 thing going on, I figured we could play over skype or something similar, which is how I found out about Fantasy Grounds. I just received my hard copies today (gotta love Amazon). Should I return them and buy them on FG instead?
    Hi Jeff. welcome to the community.

That's a decision for you. What I can tell you is that the FG modules contain everything in the hardcopy - the only difference being you can't read them anywhere you want; just inside FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferton View Post
    Hi guys,

When I started 5E some years ago I made the decision to only but on FG. Been quite happy with that decision.

It took a little getting used to for reading everything in FG and not on paper, but once I got used to it, I'm quite happy. My laptop weights about 4 pounds and has dozens of books on it. And an FG book is more functional (to me) than a printed book ever is.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I buy the books on FG and primarily use them just there. Since I still like having the actual physical books also, I put the hardcovers on my Amazon wishlist. Then they just appear around the holidays and my birthday.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll hand onto the books. By coincidence, some of my buddies just hit me up to start an online D&D campaign, but they're insisting on playing on Roll20, so having the physical books will come in handy there. I'll do some research on just how tedious it is to input the books manually on FG.

Blog Entries
    Regarding the confusion with 3 rule books for D&D 5E... (from another thread, but was suggested to include the info here)

Unlike previous/other SRDs, the 5E SRD is not intended for use as rules for playing. It's designed as a sourcebook for third parties to be able to build 5E compatible supplements. The monster list and the items list does become very handy for DMs to pull from though. But character creation is... very restricted.

The Basic Rules you should consider a quick start. They are the free introduction to D&D. They provide all the rules a player and GM need to get started running the simplest of characters and adventures. This is the teaser so people can see what D&D is about and play enough to get hooked. ('Here, try a taste, it's free!')

The PHB is then of course the full set of rules for core character creation and player info.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for this helpful starting post!

Just some additional questions about D&D5 pre-made campaigns (forgive me but I am a newbie GM, and many thanks in advance):

1- some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen') suggest "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" or "D&D Character Customization Pack":
    why do some campaigns suggest such modules and not the "Players Handbook"?
    Is it not enough to have/load the "Players Handbook"?
    If I have "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" and "Players Handbook", do you suggest to load both or just one of them?

2- if I am a veteran GM, is it in some way useful to load the DMG?

3 - which are the differences between the Monster Manual and the D&D Complete Monster Pack?

4- why some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Curse of Strahd') require the built-in 5E Ruleset? What does it mean: the PHB, the MM and the DMG as well?
    Why such campaign suggests also the D&D Complete Monster Pack? Aren't all the needed monsters already included in the campaign module?

5- when I play a D&D5 pre-made campaign in a specific setting (for example 'Scourge of the Sword Coast'), do you recommend to load the setting module too (in this case: 'Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide')?

6- may I load two different campaign modules (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen' and 'Curse of Strahd') in the same play? Is it only useless or worse because confusing?

7- (this is more general, maybe off-topic): some monsters have already a specific token linked, that you can't replace because the monster sheet is "read only" marked. How can I replace it? Should I make a copy of the monster sheet and then edit it?
    Last edited by Galdor; April 8th, 2020 at 01:14.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Thank you for this helpful starting post!

Just some additional questions about D&D5 pre-made campaigns (forgive me but I am a newbie GM, and many thanks in advance):

1- some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen') suggest "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" or "D&D Character Customization Pack":
    why do some campaigns suggest such modules and not the "Players Handbook"?
    Is it not enough to have/load the "Players Handbook"?
    If I have "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" and "Players Handbook", do you suggest to load both or just one of them?
    Initially WotC did not allow FG to call it the Player's Handbook. But it was/is the same things and has all the same content etc. More recently they have allowed FG to call it the Player's Handbook. Not all reference to the "D&D Complete Core Class Pack" have been updated to PHB.

2- if I am a veteran GM, is it in some way useful to load the DMG?
    If you are running the module as written you won't need it. But if you want to change out treasures, add magic items, etc. then yes it would be useful. But you can load (and unload) it as needed.

3 - which are the differences between the Monster Manual and the D&D Complete Monster Pack?
    Same things as the PHB. Originally FG was not allowed to call it the Monster Manual.

4- why some D&D5 pre-made campaigns (for example 'Curse of Strahd') require the built-in 5E Ruleset? What does it mean: the PHB, the MM and the DMG as well?
    Why such campaign suggests also the D&D Complete Monster Pack? Aren't all the needed monsters already included in the campaign module?
    Not sure why some mention the 5E ruleset, since it's built-in/included its irrelevant.

The MM is probably suggested so you can access graphics (non-letter) tokens and might also be used for some optional encounters where you might want to add additional creatures.

5- when I play a D&D5 pre-made campaign in a specific setting (for example 'Scourge of the Sword Coast'), do you recommend to load the setting module too (in this case: 'Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide')?
    I don't. But if there is something you want to reference, then you can open it. Again, open it when you need it, no need to keep it open.

6- may I load two different campaign modules (for example 'Hoard of the Dragon Queen' and 'Curse of Strahd') in the same play? Is it only useless or worse because confusing?
    Yes you can. It's only a challenge because then story, map, item, etc lists become much longer. You can filter each of those, but by default they will show all entries.

7- (this is more general, maybe off-topic): some monsters have already a specific token linked, that you can't replace because the monster sheet is "read only" marked. How can I replace it? Should I make a copy of the monster sheet and then edit it?
    Yes, or just replace the token in the Encounter. You can actually have 5 goblins in an encounter and put a unique token on each one

Thread Information