STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Do note that your players will only be able to access your FG version of the PHB while they are connected to your FG campaign (when you are running FG).
    Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign. Am I correct in that understanding and if that is correct what is the difference between the standard account and a demo account from a players point of view? I know I keep asking a lot of the same questions and I thank everyone for have patient with me.

Quote Originally Posted by lschantz View Post
    Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign.
    Ultimate allows anyone to connect to your campaign - demo, standard or another ultimate. While connected they have similar functionality. They can all access anything you share with the players.

The main difference between the demo and the standard is that a standard can join any game, whereas a demo can only join an ultimate game.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lschantz View Post
    Just so I can check again, if I have the ultimate edition my players will still need a standard edition in order to share my books for my campaign. Am I correct in that understanding and if that is correct what is the difference between the standard account and a demo account from a players point of view? I know I keep asking a lot of the same questions and I thank everyone for have patient with me.
    Nope, sorry to confuse you. Keep asking till one of us makes sense

The only difference between standard and ultimate is who can connect to you. As a player if you have a standard license you can connect to any GM (standard or ultimate). As a player, if you have the free/demo (no license) then you can only connect to a GM with the ultimate license (except you might be able to connect to a standard GM as the only player in demo mode).

As for DLC or books, once you are connected as a player to a GM/host, you can download and access any book the GM marks for you to be able to access. But, players can only access those books while they are connected to that GM. (that's what I was trying to clarify in my confusing post). So I just wanted to make sure you understood that even after your players download the books from you, they will only be able to access those books while they are connected to you.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    So there are a few different scenarios.

If you will always be the GM and/or you have a large pool of players and/or you like to run one shots for random folk - the Ultimate License is a great choice.

If you rotate GMs, if you have a very stable group (and all your players are not the kind that always refuse to spend anything on this hobby that gives them many hours of enjoyment) then having everyperson buy a Standard License is a great option. On Steam you can get 4 licenses for the price of 3. You can only do this one time and you cant have an existing FG license (some Steam rule).

Either of these will get you all connected and can run any of the free rulesets and use any of the SRD material.

The GM must have the ruleset that you want to play.
    Any books the GM owns can be shared to players.
    Players can open their own books (with GM permission).
    Players cannot share books to other players or to the GM.

So you should choose Ultimate or Standard route.
    Then the GM should get the system they want and any core books or adventures they want to run.
    Eg - You buy or Sub to Ultimate, buy PHB (Complete Core Classes) and Curse of Strahd and youre in business.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Nope, sorry to confuse you. Keep asking till one of us makes sense

The only difference between standard and ultimate is who can connect to you. As a player if you have a standard license you can connect to any GM (standard or ultimate). As a player, if you have the free/demo (no license) then you can only connect to a GM with the ultimate license (except you might be able to connect to a standard GM as the only player in demo mode).

As for DLC or books, once you are connected as a player to a GM/host, you can download and access any book the GM marks for you to be able to access. But, players can only access those books while they are connected to that GM. (that's what I was trying to clarify in my confusing post). So I just wanted to make sure you understood that even after your players download the books from you, they will only be able to access those books while they are connected to you.
    Ok cool thank you very much, I get it now.

Blog Entries
    For numbers, here's an incomplete summary of what's in each source;
    Screen Shot 03-02-18 at 12.44 PM.PNG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If the player creates a character via the races and options in an ultimate gm's game that owns the phb, an the phb is not available when that gm is offline, then what happens to the character he created? Is it saved for when he connects with that gm again... is his character available offline?

Quote Originally Posted by Segin View Post
    Is it saved for when he connects with that gm again... is his character available offline?
    All character data is stored in the campaign database on the GMs computer. This is the master data and you will access that th next time you join the GMs session.

You have a read only copy of your PC stored locally on the computer that you used to last access the GMs campaign. This data is from the cache when you last connected, so it may not directly related to the data in the GMs campaign (if the GM made some changes to your character, for example). Access this campaign cache data through The FG Manage Characters functionality.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    Thanks, this is useful!

I started out as a DM running converted one-shots with just the $9.99 monthly ultimate license and nothing else. Later I got the PHB and MM and now I have the lifetime ultimate license. This way I could invite anyone into my games without them having to get anything themselves.

It would be interesting to hear how other groups do their licensing.
    As dm I have an ultimate lisence. Then I bought the PHB, DMG, MM. My players wanted things put of other books. So they game me the money to purchase on my account so the could have access to those races and classes.

Thread Information