5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Princes of the Apocalypse DM aid?

Hi, I've been running Princes of the Apocalypse for 5 sessions now. The player are about to begin exploring the temples, but I've already experienced the mess that is this module. While the content is fantastic, I have a really hard time find the info I need. I have to go from onw story to another looking for a clue or a NPC name I forgot.

Does any of you DMed PotA and created aid for things like faction NPC, quest givers, clues, etc. I'm playing it full sandbox style so I never know where the players will go next...

I hate having to pause the roleplaying because I can't find the stuff I know is somewhere in there. I'm about to create charts and stuff to help, but I was wondering if someone had already done some DMing aid.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Playing it, DMing it, it's a mess. It's A LOT of fun sandbox style, but other than reading the entire book TWICE, I don't know there's much you can do unless you pigeon hole your PCs into following a certain order.

There are a couple of flow charts and suggested aids out there, they're all different, just google it and you'll see.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

https://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com...rinces-of.html

This should be helpful. I ran the adventure 3 times now and while it seems like a mess to look at, its actually quite playable AS LONG AS, you are prepared and know whats upcoming in the adventure so you can steer the players towards the proper dungeon temple for their level

I agree with Redemption77. I've known/heard of DMs that are like, "I'll just read the book as we go" and Princes of the Apocalypse is an adventure that will make your life pretty hard if that's your DMing style. Being a sandbox adventure players have the option of going in a number of different directions so you need to either be prepared to tweak stuff (if you want to allow your players freedom) or subtly steer them in a particular direction (if you'd rather not have them roam wherever).

Yes, preparation is the key - and make it feel like a sandbox but actually channel the players where you want them to be. Whilst it is possible to wander all over the place your players will get into trouble very quickly if they don't have the level for a particular area. You might also find this useful.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, I've found those links and they are indeed helpful.

I guess I'll have to improve upon it myself.

Thanks anyway!

I made Daniel Davis' reference sheet as a note in FG with links to area and NPCs. Is there a way I could export it so it can be shared here? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who could use that.

Blog Entries
    Yes exporting notes would be great. At the very least it would be awesome to cut and paste that as a plain text file and share it here.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoPif View Post
    I made Daniel Davis' reference sheet as a note in FG with links to area and NPCs. Is there a way I could export it so it can be shared here? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who could use that.
    No you can't export notes, only story entries. And I would be careful of any copyright infringement if you did distribute something like that. It might have to be so bland as to be fairly useless.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi PsychoPif,

Here's my strategy that has worked very well for running all the 5e modules. Get two piece of paper. The first piece of paper is going to be split in half. Make a list of all the NPCs that you will be RPing. On the left column you make a very brief list of physical characteristics to what they look like and what's around them and on the right column you write their behaviors.

Baron Vargas Vallkovich
    -Always has 2 mastiffs
    -Rapier
    -Wears breastplate

+Everyone is beneath me
    +Wont engage w/ out upper hand
    +Believes he's a good leader
    +Believes he's genetically superior

The second sheet of paper should be a web of connections. So you might have Red Larch being the central hub and then things branching out from there. This helps me remember where people learned which piece of information from. Also the writing process itself helps make it more memorable.

Thread Information