DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliev View Post
    In that case I think it's probably not worth me collecting the classes one by one - I'd end up with a lot of modules and an incomplete PHB. I'll collect the monster types one at a time and save up to buy the core class pack all in one go.
    Might as well save the money and headache and just hand type in the monsters you need or just buy the official adventures since they come with all the monsters needed for the adventure. The PHB is pretty key and you really want the full thing, but the MM is mostly needed for homebrew campaigns.

You can also get by with the SRD while you save.

Blog Entries
    For me the PHB content is the most valuable of the 5e resources. Thats what I always recommend if someone can buy one and only one product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    For me the PHB content is the most valuable of the 5e resources. That's what I always recommend if someone can buy one and only one product.
    Do you think that's true for GMs? I haven't bought any of it yet as I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after a hiatus, but I was thinking I'd be better served getting the MM first and then maybe the PHB.

Two side notes:

1.) The DMG seems to be a really hard sell in FG when you own a physical copy. Feels like I'm mostly just paying $50 for an item forge? I'm really not trying to bash it, just find where the value is. I understand that the tables are in there too, but it just seems so easy to roll on the tables in the actual book during prep instead.
    2.) It seems to be a really, er... unusual... choice that there is not a discounted bundle of the three core books for GMs.

Not to sound too disgruntled, though. I've only been back a few weeks, but overall I'm really impressed with the official 5E support.
    Last edited by Answulf; June 11th, 2016 at 07:25.
    Ultimate License
    Time Zone: MST (GMT-7)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansbach View Post
    Do you think that's true for GMs? I haven't bought any of it yet as I'm just now getting back into the swing of things after a hiatus, but I was thinking I'd be better served getting the MM first and then maybe the PHB.

Two side notes:

1.) The DMG seems to be a really hard sell in FG when you own a physical copy. Feels like I'm mostly just paying $50 for an item forge? I'm really not trying to bash it, just find where the value is. I understand that the tables are in there too, but it just seems so easy to roll on the tables in the actual book during prep instead.
    2.) It seems to be a really, er... unusual... choice that there is not a discounted bundle of the three core books for GMs.

Not to sound too disgruntled, though. I've only been back a few weeks, but overall I'm really impressed with the official 5E support.
    The game is about the characters and they are the most detailed things in the game. The Monsters get killed, banished, deceived etc and the party move on - so yeah the PHB is stil more important for me than the MM. You get about 200 monsters in the included Basic Rules and the SRD so you have a lot of monster options to get you started and building new monsters is 10x easier than building the character automation etc without the PHB. All the published adventures also contain all the required monsters for those. I cant comment on the DMG - I dont have it in FG and Ive never even opened my physical copy - it arrived and i threw it on the pile with all the other RPG books I havent had time to read

Blog Entries
    The DMG is good value. Being able to use those tables and have them autopopulate with just one click instead of 20 with already created items is huge IMO.

That said, I would go PHB, MM DMG in that order.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    Ultimate License

The one thing that might swing you to the dark side of the DMG is the extensive treasure tables and just how easy it is to prepare a treasure parcel. You pick the treasure table and click to roll one dice (or a % dice so technically two). The roll then cascades down through not just that table but any other tables linked to that table. So for example if you roll up a +1 Sword it will roll to see what kind of sword you get, and if you roll ups some gems it will roll the type and value of each gem, and if you roll a 2nd level scroll it will roll up which scroll you get. On top of that it will roll all the coins and Art work and anything else and it will then wrap that up in a parcel which you can then drop into a story entry.

And another thing, all the magic items are in there and for weapons they all work by drag and drop, so if your PC picks up a +2 sword then as soon as it's equipped it will set up the attacks and damage correctly in the character sheet. Finally there's a ton of combat and other options in the DMG not detailed elsewhere.

However, if you mostly play published adventures then the DMG might not be a resource you'll refer to much. I would echo what has been said above however the PHB is essential. It will give your players way more options for character creation than the SRD or Basic Rules.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The one thing that might swing you to the dark side of the DMG is the extensive treasure tables and just how easy it is to prepare a treasure parcel. You pick the treasure table and click to roll one dice (or a % dice so technically two). The roll then cascades down through not just that table but any other tables linked to that table. So for example if you roll up a +1 Sword it will roll to see what kind of sword you get, and if you roll ups some gems it will roll the type and value of each gem, and if you roll a 2nd level scroll it will roll up which scroll you get. On top of that it will roll all the coins and Art work and anything else and it will then wrap that up in a parcel which you can then drop into a story entry.

And another thing, all the magic items are in there and for weapons they all work by drag and drop, so if your PC picks up a +2 sword then as soon as it's equipped it will set up the attacks and damage correctly in the character sheet. Finally there's a ton of combat and other options in the DMG not detailed elsewhere.
    OK, now that is pretty awesome. You might have swayed me.
    Ultimate License

Thread Information