DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Adventures in 6e and future 7e Question

Hello!

I just finished my first CoC game last night on FG, it was a great experience, absolutely loved it. I've only played D&D before and didn't know what to expect but now I'm hooked and want more!!

It sounds like the adventures are small, not epic campaigns like I'm used to with D&D and I think my offline group would love this (I'd use FG to run the adventure). After hearing about my adventure last night my wife wants to play CoC offline or online too!

So here's my question: how will it work with the already published adventures on FG when the 7e rules come out? Will they be compatible or will I have to buy new adventures or something? Is this information even known at this time? I understand the 7e ruleset would be a separate purchase from the 6e ruleset but as I'm new to CoC (and FG) I'm not sure how it works with adventures.

Thanks and happy gaming!

Kelly

See the second paragraph here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post271795

Also, regarding adventures: there are a number of epic campaigns available, Masks of Nyarlathotep and Shadows of Yog Sothoth are available for FG, and Horror on the Orient Express to name but three. There are also a lot of location based adventures that make it easy to string together a campaign in a specific city/region. There are, however, many stand-alone adventures too. But, as the majority of adventures are in the same campaign setting (our own world) it's easy to integrate adventures together, the one thing you have to keep an eye out for is the time setting: Classic is 1920s, "now" is present day, there's also Victorian era (gaslight), dark ages, Roman times, etc..

One thing you will have to get used to if you are running a campaign (compared to D&D) is losing characters. Death and insanity are frequent "rewards" for investigators (PCs) in Call of Cthulhu. This can be a reason why some CoC games are stand alone adventures rather than massive campaigns - I mostly run stand alone games where the mortality rate can be quite high as that is what me and my players enjoy: a gritty, high-risk, up against it, horror game. I've considered running a campaign (Cubicle 7's "The Curse of Ninevah") where we'd probably have to dial back the lethality a bit (but not too much), but still be prepared for replacement characters. Most CoC campaigns will contain a sidebar on how to bring new characters into the campaign as PC loss is part and parcel of CoC gaming.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, Trenloe, all you've done is increase my hype for CoC!

I certainly like the idea of smaller adventures and stringing them together, easier to keep the excitement going when you're not overwhelmed with how much is left. I think the lethality of the game is certainly a draw as it is a change of pace from D&D, though calling death a "reward" is something I've not heard of in an RPG but I think that's why I'm drawn into this game, it feels quite different from the D&D I've played in the past.

The gaslight setting really interests me, love Victorian era stuff (Masque of the Red Death in AD&D 2e was my favourite!). I didn't see any adventures/settings for this, any idea if they are coming or did I perhaps miss them when searching?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Happy gaming!

Kelly

Blog Entries
    Hola NotRussellCrowe!
    Ive played in a small number of CallOfCthulhu adventures and I often still struggle with the whole Im not playing some superman/woman character who will leave their mark on this world as they overcome incredible odds time and time again. Im playing an average mortal person who has no idea of the "others" that lurk in the shadows and will surely either die or go insane. Letting go of the win at all costs, and also not meta gaming to avoid all the horrors is a big change in mindset.
    I agree with Trenloe in that shorter games - one to six sessions in length are probably much more suited to this style of game - at least for me any way.
    6e adventures will run just fine (maybe the odd glitch) in 7e (no repurchase of modules needed) and there is a lot of CoC content being converted right now and over the last 12 months.
    Happy horrors to you!

I think that's definitely a selling point on CoC, that you're not playing a superhero and won't rise to great heights and be able to call the heavens down on your enemies; you're always fighting an uphill battle and the chance of success is slim but you always have to have hope. At least that's how I'm seeing CoC, of course my experience is all of one session, half an adventure, and some reading on wiki and so forth.

Loving FG too, I bought it to play D&D but can branch out to other RPGs with little to no expense on my part. Though now that I want more CoC and to maybe run it offline (and maybe online too once I get more comfortable with the system and FG in general) with my group in person the expense part will go up!

Thanks and happy gaming!

Kelly

Blog Entries
    Another game worth trying out is Trail of Cthulhu which is very similar in content but is a little more generous with clues - you tend to always be given just enough info to get to the end but there is always more info and clues that can be found to enhance your chances of success through role and roll play.

Thread Information