FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Setting language in the chat frame

In a 'Story' you can setup paragraphs to be of a type 'chat frame' so that when clicked the paragraph auto posts to the chat channel.
    Is there a way to set the chat to a specific language? (ex click on chat frame, and it posts text in 'Supernal')

There is not. The language feature is fairly new, so it is only controlled by the drop down associated with the chat window.

Regards,
    JPG

You need to set a speaker for the chat frame. Then, when you click on the speech bubble, it will post in whatever language is selected for the chat frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    You need to set a speaker for the chat frame. Then, when you click on the speech bubble, it will post in whatever language is selected for the chat frame.
    That did the trick.

1. Right Click on chatframe icon
    2. Select 'paragraph types'
    3. Select 'Assign Speaker'
    4. Edit text before the new '*' in the chat frame window with any name. 'GM * < chat frame text >'
    5. Select the language to use in the Chat channel and click on chat frame icon.
    Chat frame text is now in that language.

It's not automatic as a preset in the chat frame, but gets what I need.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Frstrm; May 13th, 2016 at 06:46.

Blog Entries
    It appears to me as though this hasn't gone anywhere... Is that true? Has someone created an extension that performs Frstrm's original intent (at least as interpreted by me)?

I have a really simple routine that does the following:
    It takes a Chat paragraph in the Story, looks at the text for a "Translate" command and temporarily toggles the Chat box to that language before displaying the text in the desired language.

Here is a screenshot to help.
    The area to the left of the thick green line is the DM's instance, the area to the right is a client (player) instance.
    I clicked each of the Chat paragraphs in turn. The second one I clicked twice, once without and once with the language set in the Chat box to "Primordial". (Note that I left the language set to Primordial for the last two clicks and the extension overrides the selection.)
    Untitled.jpg
    Also note: the PC, George of the Jungle, understands Gnomish, as indicated in both the DM and PC Chats.

So, to restate what the routine does: It looks for the pseudo-command text '[Translate to "<language>"]' at the beginning of the Chat Paragraph's contents, if it is there it sets the Chat Box Language to "<language>" and displays the rest of the paragraph's text.

Why might you want this? If you're like me, a DM who forgets some details once in a while, like changing the Chat Box language before sharing some language specific details, this helps at prep time, set the language at prep and don't sweat it later, FG takes care of the minutia, just as it should.

If there is any interest, I'll properly publish it as an extension.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; January 27th, 2021 at 18:46. Reason: added note about the PC and Gnomish
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

That's cool Minty. Would definitely be a nice extension.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Good Day Minty23185Fresh
    That is really nice! It looks like the players side can see what language it is being translated into, if you made this into an extension, could that be hidden from the players too?

I think the PC (George of the Jungle) can understand Gnomish so it shows it. Look at the Aurum version. The player line says Unknown just like the original message in Primal.

And yes this would be a very nice extension and should work at the CoreRPG level too which would work across a lot of rulesets.

I'd like to see that, Minty, it's a really neat way to be able to keep your players involved instead of me typing it on the fly as I can literally hear them breathing down my neck in Discord

Definitely would be a cool little extension!!! I would like to see this too! It adds additional game immersion.

Thread Information