DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Forest tiles for map making?

Starting to learn FG and adding an adventure. I have everything almost finished except the maps.

I was looking for a set of forest tiles that would let me build the map out how I like. Something with dirt roads, grass sections, different shades to represent thicker clumps of trees, etc. Water parts would be good, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

There's a sticky above where someone talks about making maps with tiles

However before being able to answer your question we'd need to know what kind of drawing package are you using to put your map together?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the link.

I am up for using anything but I have used GIMP and Photoshop in the past.

Thanks, damned. That tool is pretty neat. I quickly drew a rough forest map with it. I am no artist so when I say rough, I mean rough. Any tutorials using the tool to do things like make a nice path through a forest and steps for using the results with FG? I am still uncertain about the grid sizes, etc.

Thanks again!

(As far as I can see)
    There's button on the top bar which allows export as png/jpg. Click on it and then 'create png' and then save. You can then import that into GIMP and export it as a jpg file with about 75% of the quality which will bring the file size down somewhat and make it easier to use in FG. You get it into FG by opening the folder (click on the images tab and then on folder) and drag or copy/paste the file in there. Or you can drag directly into the FG images window.

Whilst it's in GIMP I have no doubt you can do 'stuff' to it. The only thing I can't see at the moment is how you would draw the map so that the resolution is right for an FG grid; but damned will chip in with details as soon as the sun rises in Aussie land

Oh, and to create a path select the 'Brush' tool by clicking on the toggle at the top where it says brush and then pick a path icon. Now when you click on the map and then move it it 'paints' rather than lays down a grid of stuff.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; April 28th, 2016 at 12:00.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    TriOpticon here is a 10min video on Pyromancers. I wasnt making a forest scene but a plonk a scrub/forest scene around the tower at the end.
    Im no video expert and I have neither a head for TV or a voice for Radio so it is what it is...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpg_-fUrGnU

Work out how the layers work.
    Make your map.
    Then open another window and remake it and you will find the second go so much easier

Thanks, damned and Zacchaeus. I actually watched that video several times. Anyway, I made this...It is supposed to be a path going through a thick forest with brush along the path...The dark green would be trees and the other green is brush/bushes.Attachment 13885
    I have not tried using it in FG but it looks a little better this time...just a little...

Quote Originally Posted by TriOpticon View Post
    Thanks, damned and Zacchaeus. I actually watched that video several times. Anyway, I made this...It is supposed to be a path going through a thick forest with brush along the path...The dark green would be trees and the other green is brush/butI have not tried using it in FG but it looks a little better this time...just a little...
    That's pretty good. One thing I would say is don't export the map with the grid (once you've finished and before you save it turn the transparency down to nothing). That way you won't have any problems putting the FG grid on it and won't have to worry about scale and stuff too much.

Blog Entries
    One other suggestion is to place an off color square in one of the corners (but not the bottom right) that is 5 ft square. This way when you get to FG you can draw the grid over this square and it will align with other features.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information