5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

proficiency dice option

Hi all,

On page 263 of the Dungeon Master's Guide they state an optional rule to replace the fixed proficiency bonus with a variable proficiency die roll.
    So for example in stead of always having a +2 bonus in level range 1-4 you can throw an extra 1d4 with your roll and add the value of that.

I was wondering if there is a setting to toggle this mode in fantasy grounds ?

Gerard.

There is not. I looked into adding this option at one point, but the amount of work necessary to implement across the ruleset framework was more than the limited use it would get.

Regards,
    JPG

You can replicate this optional rule by rolling a d4 manually, dragging it's result value down to the Modifier box, clicking the -2 button to remove the default +2 proficiency bonus, then double clicking your Skill Check to get a value affected by the d4 roll and not your default +2 Prof bonus.

JPG, is there any way to add in the ability to add/subtract a die roll as part of a die roll? Maybe drag a die onto the modifier window (or other new field) and have it add the value of the roll of that die to your next die roll? Might be a useful feature.

There is not. The modifier box is very basic. I've thought it might be useful to enhanced the modifier box to incorporate dice, but it's not a minor project.

Cheers,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by smeevil View Post
    Hi all,

On page 263 of the Dungeon Master's Guide they state an optional rule to replace the fixed proficiency bonus with a variable proficiency die roll.
    So for example in stead of always having a +2 bonus in level range 1-4 you can throw an extra 1d4 with your roll and add the value of that.

I was wondering if there is a setting to toggle this mode in fantasy grounds ?

Gerard.
    Hi, smeevil, welcome to Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

It is possible to do this if you use effects but it will be a bit long winded. For example if you create an effect thus ATK:[-PRF];ATK:1d4 it will effectively remove the existing proficiency and replace it with a random roll. So if the PC has a proficiency bonus of 2 then you'd get a roll of 2-2 + 1d4 added to any attack roll. You can do this also for any ability check CHECK:[-PRF];CHECK:1d4 and for a saving throw SAVE:[-PRF];SAVE:1d4.

You'd need to update the random dice when the character gets to a level where that changes but the [-PRF] wil; negate whatever the proficiency bonus is. Make sure all the effects are target SELF and they are on the character all the time. A bit long winded, as I said, but it should work I think.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; April 28th, 2016 at 08:55.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible in the rebuild to add the functionality to pick up a dice, and then right click on top of another dice to roll both of them. And if there isn't a die directly under the curser to double the die like currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post

It is possible to do this if you use effects but it will be a bit long winded. For example if you create an effect thus ATK:[-PRF];ATK:1d4 it will effectively remove the existing proficiency and replace it with a random roll. So if the PC has a proficiency bonus of 2 then you'd get a roll of (1d4)-2 added to any attack roll. You can do this also for any ability check CHECK:[-PRF];CHECK:1d4 and for a saving throw SAVE:[-PRF];SAVE:1d4.

You'd need to update the random dice when the character gets to a level where that changes but the [-PRF] wil; negate whatever the proficiency bonus is. Make sure all the effects are target SELF and they are on the character all the time. A bit long winded, as I said, but it should work I think.
    Thanks a lot for the elaborate explanation! This might indeed work quite well, thank you

The last thing I need is another opportunity to roll a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post

It is possible to do this if you use effects but it will be a bit long winded. For example if you create an effect thus ATK:[-PRF];ATK:1d4 it will effectively remove the existing proficiency and replace it with a random roll. So if the PC has a proficiency bonus of 2 then you'd get a roll of 2-2 + 1d4 added to any attack roll. You can do this also for any ability check CHECK:[-PRF];CHECK:1d4 and for a saving throw SAVE:[-PRF];SAVE:1d4.

The syntax [-PRF] does not work. I coppied and pasted this line into the effects window. It added the d4 (which is brilliant! thank you!) but continued to give the prof bonus. I got it to work by unchecking the "proficiency" star next to my longsword, but that's only a partial fix... if I use a weapon i'm not proficient with, adding the penalty is an extra step.

is the [-PRF] coded properly?

Thank you!
    A.J.

“It isn't Narnia, you know," sobbed Lucy. "It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?"
    "But you shall meet me, dear one," said Aslan.
    "Are -are you there too, Sir?" said Edmund.
    "I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Thread Information