STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    When I import from within FG the characters never show up, yet says imported. I was able to get it in using the character converter but would rather do it in FG itself. Any suggestions? Capture.JPG

Hi GrumblyOgre welcome to FG.

As far as I know you can't directly import a HeroLab character directly into FG. You need to use the character converter because the XML output from HeroLab won't be recognised by FG.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thats what it seems like to me as well, although a lot of tutorials found all over the web and on here state otherwise. Did something break along the way of upgrades? I am also finding combat is more difficult than it should be (have to roll the dice onto the monster rather than pc clicking on creature and double clicking attack) and the fog of war is really lacking compared to another software I tried recently. Glad I only got the subscription because I probably won't be using this long. Its not all that impressive to me. (not to mention, if I bought it outright, and still have to pay $50 for the core rule books??) Not very impressed yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumblyOgre View Post
    Thats what it seems like to me as well, although a lot of tutorials found all over the web and on here state otherwise. Did something break along the way of upgrades? I am also finding combat is more difficult than it should be (have to roll the dice onto the monster rather than pc clicking on creature and double clicking attack) and the fog of war is really lacking compared to another software I tried recently. Glad I only got the subscription because I probably won't be using this long. Its not all that impressive to me. (not to mention, if I bought it outright, and still have to pay $50 for the core rule books??) Not very impressed yet.
    AFAIK it has always only imported to Manage Characters. Can you point to tutorials or references that show otherwise?

Have you looked at the user Manual to learn how to use targeting?
    Are you setting up your tokens on the map correctly? Drag PCs and NPCs to Combat Tracker, drag from Combat Tracker to Map.

The Fog of War is more basic than some other VTT.

You dont mention what game system you are playing.
    When you buy a Kindle Amazon doesnt also let you download the NY Times Best Seller list for free as well... The Rulebooks content is Copyright material belonging to other companies. Do you really expect that to be free?
    If you are playing 5e have you activated the SRD or Basic Rules?
    Have you looked at Savage Worlds? Full Game System for about $10.
    Have you looked at Castles&Crusades? Full Game System for about $10.
    Have you looked at Call of Cthulhu? Full Game System for about $15 or $30.
    Have you looked at all the OGL material for Pathfinder?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumblyOgre View Post
    As implied by damned, it sounds like you are not using the CT and targeting in the most efficient manner. Let us know if you are still having questions after you use the methods outlined by damned.

As mentioned, fog of war is not as advanced as some other VTT's. Perhaps you could outline what it is you want the FOW to do and we can help you out if their is a better way.

Perhaps you can point us to a FG "book" that costs $50? Because if you are referring to the D&D books, their are none for sale for more than $29.99. Though Roll20 does sell many of the ones does have for $49.99, FG sells them for much less. Maybe you are thinking you have to pay MSRP for them, but you don't.

Stick with us and don't hesitate to read the User Manual and watch videos, and when you have questions or see something that doesn't seem right, let us know. We're always happy to help out friendly people

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yea. The import option doesn't work. Have tried .hlfg files and .xml files. Both times it says in the chat log that it has imported a character. And when I go to the list of available characters, it's not there. Just simply doesn't work. Gonna have to build the character in fantasy grounds probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    Yea. The import option doesn't work. Have tried .hlfg files and .xml files. Both times it says in the chat log that it has imported a character. And when I go to the list of available characters, it's not there. Just simply doesn't work. Gonna have to build the character in fantasy grounds probably.
    I believe the import open is designed to import characters that were exported from FG not hero lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    1) What ruleset are you trying to import a PC into?
    2) Have you ran the .hlfg file through the external Character Importer application? Found in the <FG app data>\utilities directory. More info on this in the “Using the Fantasy Grounds Character Converter” section of the page I link in post #3 of this thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There is a herolab to FG converter posted on their forums. https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60176 it has some limitations due to bugs with herolabs that have been reported but are not fixed. You can give that a try and see if it works for you. As far as I know it only works for 5e though.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

You can also switch to using PCGen also.

Thread Information