5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Release v3.1.7

We've had reports of cloud synch services causing corruption in the campaign files causing data loss. I haven't been able to recreate the issue to know why that would occur, since the data files are immediately written to disk right after they are generated internally by the application. So, we've recommended against using cloud synch services for that reason.

Personally I use software to backup my system using a "mirror" strategy, which means that the files are only copied out, not in.

Regards,
    JPG

I have seen scenarios where services like dropbox, if you change a local file often enough in a short period of time can get confused in the syncing process. This can result in corruption of the local file. I had experienced this is a writing program I use that, by default, was saving to file every 10 to 30 seconds.

I usually recommend anyone who is using a program that has any kind of database file on a cloud service like dropbox, that they pausing syncing before they start the program and then enable it again afterwards.
    • Trying to find a community Ruleset, Extension or Information on how to complete a process? Try FGRepository.
    • PM Myself if you have new or updated community Rulesets, Extensions or Information that you'd like added to FGRepository.

Quote Originally Posted by drahkar View Post
    I have seen scenarios where services like dropbox, if you change a local file often enough in a short period of time can get confused in the syncing process. This can result in corruption of the local file. I had experienced this is a writing program I use that, by default, was saving to file every 10 to 30 seconds.

I usually recommend anyone who is using a program that has any kind of database file on a cloud service like dropbox, that they pausing syncing before they start the program and then enable it again afterwards.
    I would also note that this is a problem with how those services handle syncing and not an issue in FG as can be recognized in the fact it happens in other programs as well.
    • Trying to find a community Ruleset, Extension or Information on how to complete a process? Try FGRepository.
    • PM Myself if you have new or updated community Rulesets, Extensions or Information that you'd like added to FGRepository.

Hi Community,

I encoutnered an extemely strange thing today...
    I run the "chekc for updates" button on my second pc, where I have FG Ultimated insalled, as we play at our second location tonight. And It turend backwards, from 3.1.7 to 3.1.5 and I can't get 3.1.7 back... The updater IS 3.1.7, though....
    What's going on here?
    Best wishes
    B!

Check your 'rulesets' folder and if you see any .part files or any folders in there delete them and try the updater again.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thnaks. Sorted

Hi Zacchaeus,

thanks for the quick reply. I found the error. I jsut had it installed on a different location and obviously starte dthe old exe file. The update, beeing 3.1.7 didn't recognize it.
    I just copied the 3.1.7 exe file and the corresponding files from the one machine to the other and it did work.

Bet wishes
    Bernhard

Thread Information