5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Rise of the Runelords' Hook Mountain Clanhold Battlemap

I am preparing the last part of Hook Mountain Massacre adventure from the Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. The maps I pulled from the PDF doesn't translate well with the 10 foot grid into FG so I was wondering if anyone have another good map of the Clanhold (preferably with no or 5 foot grid). It would save me the tedious work of having to recreate the map in CC3.

Not to ruin your fun of looking for more maps, but couldn't you just double up on the squares for the one-square-equals-ten-feet maps, when you lay the FG grid down?

The problem was not really the 10 foot squares but instead that the actual map is so small and low resolution from the PDF of the adventure so it couldn't lay a proper 5' grid because of the low resolution. Should have explained it better that I wanted a higher resolution map. No grids or 5' grids instead would just have been a welcome bonus.

Blog Entries
    Ah, I don't know about these maps, but often times if you can find the author of the map, they will have high resolution versions of their maps available from purchase on their own websites. Mike Schley is great about this, but lots of other cartographers do this as well.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ah, gotcha. I had never had any problem with the maps pulled off of the PDFs. In fact, I love how when I copy them, they are sans room numbers and secret door labels. That way it's easier to use them for player maps. But I've actually started working on a RotRL campaign set-up on here, so I'll pay attention when I get to those big 10ft sq maps.

As I'm doing RotRL right now I'm going to get around to making one, unfortunately my schedule is pretty packed the next while and I don't know when I'll get to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorpa View Post
    The problem was not really the 10 foot squares but instead that the actual map is so small and low resolution from the PDF of the adventure so it couldn't lay a proper 5' grid because of the low resolution. Should have explained it better that I wanted a higher resolution map. No grids or 5' grids instead would just have been a welcome bonus.
    Chorpra what I sometime so when upsizing maps because of low resolution is scale it up first and then run a Selective Gaussian Blur 10/30 and occasionally an Unsharp Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Chorpra what I sometime so when upsizing maps because of low resolution is scale it up first and then run a Selective Gaussian Blur 10/30 and occasionally an Unsharp Mask.
    I was just going to try this on the Hook Mountain Clanhold map.. decided to load it into MapAlign first. Ugh.. Paizo maps are usually a little inconsistent with their grid but that map is absolutely godawful. The grid changes size numerous times. I really wish Paizo would fix whatever method they use to downscale their maps for publication. They claim they make the PDFs so DMs can easily pull out the maps for VTTs but their grid scales are unbelievably inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Good tip. The unsharp mask (which actually sharpens) is the key thing for me when upsizing maps.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Good tip. The unsharp mask (which actually sharpens) is the key thing for me when upsizing maps.
    I tend not to use it if Ive been removing or softening grids though as it brings em back to life!

Thread Information