Starfinder Playlist

Connection Test Failed, Not Sure why

Hi all... I did a search for connection test failure here, and I am running into a brick wall with this. Here is the situation:

I hae two computers with FG License... A laptop with Win 10 Home, and a desktop with Ubuntu 15.10. I think both have the same licence number. I have FG running on the Ubuntu rig with Wine.

Here's the weird thing. I am able to host with my Ubuntu computer, BUT NOT MY WINDOWS computer. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Checked to see if port 1802 is open. It is not.
    2) Forwarded my ports through my modem/router. Port 1802 has rules allowing both machines to connect.
    3) Check firewall settings for both computers, and I have rules for permissions on both.
    4) I completely shut down my Ubuntu computer and tried the connection test on my laptop, thinking maybe it was interfering with the port. It took a while, but after around 20 seconds FG said connection failure.

The weird thing is that while I am used to putting an alias down instead of the Address Information, this time (on my Win box) there is a static address in the Internal Box of 192.168.2.53. I didn't put that there, and I can't erase it. Even if I put the "Enable Alias" box on, it still won't let me connect. (I thought the Enable Alias box overrides the Address Information box?)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I *could* run FG from my ubutnu box, for now, but I am worried about portability.

Is there something I am missing here? Oh, and only one instance of FG is running while I am trying this. It's weird.
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

Hi kalm,

First of all, you can't use the same license on two different boxes at the same time.

Second, a Port Forward rule can only got to 1 (Internal) IP Address - if you put a 2nd rule in place it'll override the 1st, even if they both appear to be there. Port forwarding is designed for ONE ip address ONLY (per port being forwarded).

So that's probably your problem.

And the internal IP address on the windows box is put there by FG - it doesn't matter for connections unless that's the IP the port forward goes to - the alias is an alias for the external ip address

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Okay. To be clear, I am not running 2 licences of FG at the same time. I installed FG on my Windows laptop long before I made the switch to Ubuntu on my Desktop. I wanted to see if FG would run through WINE because the idea is that I would be using the desktop as my gaming rig (I have a 48 inch TV hooked up as a second monitor) I do NOT plan to use the license on two computers, but now it looks like my only option is to stick with the Ubuntu box?

On BOTH computers I cannot see or access port 1802. Is this a function of FG? How do I reset it so I can continue to play FG on my laptop?
    Ultimate Licence holder

I've had FG for so LONG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

But I'm learning!

That's cool - I was just covering all bases (re: 2 hosts at once).

OK, so what is the internal ip address of the laptop (don't tell me, just note it down). On your router do you have only one port-forwarding rule which points to the internal ip address of the laptop?
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    delete both port forward rules. reboot router. add a single port forward rule to the desired computers Local/Internal IP Address.

Thread Information