DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Effects the Complete Monk Package

The next of the 'mini tutorials' this time showing how to create the effects for the Monk class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Monk with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. In order to keep things reasonably short I have not commented on many of the abilities where either no effect is needed or cannot be created.

NOTE: Some Monk powers allow the use of certain spells. It makes more sense simply to drag those spells into the Actions tab (where they will create the effects for you) rather than recreate those spells as effects in another Power Group. If extra damage is called for click and hold the damage in the spell and then right click to add more damage dice before dropping on the target or into the dice roller. Many Monk abilities, especially in the Way of the Four Elements use ki points therefore all of those powers should be recorded in the character sheet so that ki points can be properly tracked. I have not entered every power that uses ki points on the character sheet (only those where an effect is necessary) because it would make it almost unreadable. Normally, since only one Monastic Tradition can be chosen that won’t be a problem.

Ki Powers – Create a Power group and include all of the Ki powers within it. Set the number of uses and the Wisdom ability as the power group ability in the Power Group dialog.
    Flurry of Blows – the two effects here relate to ‘Open Hand technique’. Since there isn’t a way for the ‘no reactions’ one to be automated no effect is provided. A dummy one could be created as a reminder.
    Ki-Empowered Strikes – no effect needed; add magic damage type to unarmed strikes in weapon section
    Purity of Body – There is no disease effect so it can’t be tested for, so the second effect is simply a reminder.
    Slow Fall – The effect shows one possible way to deal with this; it’s probably easier just to deal with it manually.
    Stunning Strike – DM will need to alter the ‘initiative to adjust on’ box in the Combat Tracker to less than your initiative value so that the stunned effect remains until the end of your next turn (e.g. you are on initiative 15, adjust to 14.9)

Way of the Open Hand
    Wholeness of Body – note to use preparation mode to track usage.
    Tranquility – remember to adjust the DC of the save to the correct modifier (WIS). To use the effect drag the save to the attacking creature. The ‘tranquillity’ effect does nothing, except act as a reminder to the player.

Way of the Shadow
    Shadow Step – place effect as soon as the trait is used. The DM will need to alter the ‘Initiative to adjust on’ box in the Combat Tracker to make sure the ability ends at the correct time if it isn’t used up.
    Cloak of Shadows – drag/drop will set up for you.

Disciple of the Elements
    Fangs of the Fire Strike – Adjust unarmed strikes in the weapons section to deal fire damage. Drop the effect onto the character if they decide to spend a ki point to do the extra damage
    Fist of Unbroken Air – Add more lines of damage if needed or alternatively click and hold on the 3d10 one and right click to add more dice before dropping on target.
    Water Whip – essentially the same as Fist of Unbroken Air except it’s a DEX save instead of STR.

Way of the Long Death (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
    Touch of Death – Drag/drop will set this up for you
    Hour of Reaping – Another effect where the DM will need to edit the ‘Initiative to adjust on’ in the CT to have the effect apply until your turn ends.
    Touch of the Long Death – Drag/drop to set up. You can add more lines to cater for additional damage from more ki points used or click, hold and right click to add more dice before dropping on the target.

Way of the Sun Soul (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
    Radiant Sun Bolt – Set up a ranged attack in the weapons section and use that for the base attack. Then use the effect for the additional two attacks if you spend the ki point. You can just do 3 attacks from the weapons section as long as you remember to knock off a ki point.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Just came across this, thanks for the post. However, the attached file is a Warlock, not a Monk.

Ahh More sweet goodness and homework for me. These are really good resources. Thank you Z
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Quote Originally Posted by Mixylplyx View Post
    Just came across this, thanks for the post. However, the attached file is a Warlock, not a Monk.
    I think you may be imagining things

Definitely a Monk.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

"Fangs of the Fire Strike" should be "Fangs of the Fire Snake"
    This chasm, that has been naught to me,
    To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
    He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
    Good friend, I am building the bridge for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontroar View Post
    "Fangs of the Fire Strike" should be "Fangs of the Fire Snake"
    So it should; well spotted.

I've updated the character sheet with corrections and filled in some of the missing ability data from the PHB (some of the abilities were blank, others had info copied over from PHB). Update should be attached, if I've done everything right.

Thanks chillman. I didn't bother ever checking the links since it was the effects that were the main purpose.

I live to serve. I'm not effects-smart (I can't figure out how to grant immunity to sleep or charm?), but mind numbing copying of text I can handle lol

Hah, don't swear it. You can't get immunity to sleep since it's not a condition. For charm you can add an effect IMMUNE: charmed and if you drag or apply charmed to the character it won't place it on them and will give you the reason why in chat.

Thread Information