FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Effects The Complete Bard Package

The third of the short tutorials on setting up effects this time for the Bard Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Bard with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. The Bard doesn't have many abilities that need an effect so the list is quite small.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Bardic Inspiration – No effect can be built to completely deal with the rules of Bardic Inspiration. Placing the suggested effect on the character will simple put a counter on them to show that they have Bardic Inspiration. When they want to use it roll a d6 and add the result in manually. The primary reason for creating an entry in the Actions tab is to track the number of uses via preparation mode.
    Countercharm – There is no effect that can be created to test for a particular condition. The suggested effect is simply a timer which can be placed on the character or allies. The advantage on any save should be handled manually. Note in order that the effect persists until the end of the bard’s turn alter the ‘initiative to end on’ value in the Combat Tracker to just after the bard’s initiative (e.g. Bard is on init count 15, change to 14.9)
    Font of Inspiration – Change the number of uses of Bardic Inspiration to per rest rather than per day to allow Fantasy Grounds to automatically recover uses following a short rest.
    Jack of all Trades – Ideally we would just put the CHECK effect on the Bard permanently but that would give extra bonuses to skills that are already getting a bonus and so would conflict with the rules. The CHECK effect therefore needs to be applied just before a relevant skill or ability check is made and it will come off immediately after the roll. The INIT check however can remain permanently on the Bard.
    Song of Rest – remember to adjust dice for level
    Superior Inspiration – No effect needed

College of Lore
    Cutting Words – There isn’t a way to create an effect which will alter a roll after it is made so this one needs to be done manually.
    Peerless Skill - No effect needed for this.

College of Valor
    No effects needed or can be created for anything here.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

For Jack of All Trades it's probably easier to just update all the non proficient skills to half proficient. It's a one time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    For Jack of All Trades it's probably easier to just update all the non proficient skills to half proficient. It's a one time thing.
    But that wouldn't give you anything for a 'straightforward' ability check such as a STR or CON check and you can't add in anything to those because that would mean bonuses to hit and damage being wrong etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ah, that's your logic. It seems like a lot of effect dropping for very corner cases, but if you like doing it that way its good. I can't even get people to drop sneak attack effects though, so I'm not a big fan of having to drop effect stuff since they often forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Ah, that's your logic. It seems like a lot of effect dropping for very corner cases, but if you like doing it that way its good. I can't even get people to drop sneak attack effects though, so I'm not a big fan of having to drop effect stuff since they often forget.
    I agree, there's not a need for an effect for everything; I'm just trying to be as complete as possible for the sake of the tutorial. And this is not a proscription; as ever it's up to each individual DM (and player) to make up their own mind as to how much automation they want (or need). I do tend, personally, to try and find an effect for as much as possible but sometimes I do create an effect just because I can

I will try for Jack of all trades the effect : CHECK:[HPRF];SKILL: [-HPRF], athletics, deception,insight,performance,persuasion,sleight of hand,stealth;INIT:[HPRF]
    with the list of mastered skills in the part skill.
    so it's equivalent to a bonus for everything, and a equal malus for what we know

Quote Originally Posted by leus View Post
    I will try for Jack of all trades the effect : CHECK:[HPRF];SKILL: [-HPRF], athletics, deception,insight,performance,persuasion,sleight of hand,stealth;INIT:[HPRF]
    with the list of mastered skills in the part skill.
    so it's equivalent to a bonus for everything, and a equal malus for what we know
    You can't have a negative half proficiency. The ability tags can be positive, negative, half or double. So you can have (PRF] [-PRF], [HPRF] or [2PRF]. You could do it with just saying SKILL: -#, athletics, deception etc where # is half the proficiency.

I don't understand what you mean: i put it on a effect [self], i click, that puts the effect on me by evaluating the tag [-HPRF] to -1. ok i will remove and relaunch it when i will be level 5, 9...
    I've tried the bonus and the malus together : result in chat window "[effects]", and with only malus : "[effects-1]" and with only the bonus "[effects+1]"

Quote Originally Posted by leus View Post
    I don't understand what you mean: i put it on a effect [self], i click, that puts the effect on me by evaluating the tag [-HPRF] to -1. ok i will remove and relaunch it when i will be level 5, 9...
    I've tried the bonus and the malus together : result in chat window "[effects]", and with only malus : "[effects-1]" and with only the bonus "[effects+1]"
    Aha. Now that is interesting. I had SKILL: [-HPRF] athletics etc and that doesn't work. But I see you have inserted a comma so SKILL:[-HPRF], athletics etc which does. Well spotted.

Blog Entries
    Did you modify the base character for download with the updated effect as per above? It does not look like you did.
    Last edited by Myrdin Potter; October 3rd, 2016 at 02:15.

Thread Information