5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Windows 10 issue?

So I recently reinstalled windows because Fantasy Grounds just wasn't working for me and decided to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 this time. The application is working, but has an interesting bug that I am curious to see if anyone else has had. Basically, when I first open Fantasy Grounds I can't see any of my campaign modules at all when I go to the load screen. Clicking on the open folder button in the top right takes me to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds folder (which doesn't contain my campaigns, modules etc of course) instead of the data folder. By running the updater (whether it needs it or not) it changes the folder it points to back to the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder.

I'm not sure if this is the intended folder for data in Windows 10 or not, which may be the issue. I do recognize the path is much different than it was in Windows 8.1.

OK so I installed on a new win 10 machine, and got the exact same problem. However, for me it does not go away when I run the updater. In the Settings interface, it points to the right place, but klicking on the little folder on the main page, opens up the C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds folder. Trying to load or create a campaign does not work, since it can not find any modules etc.

I have reinstalled, no change.

What can I do?

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by thermopile View Post
    In the Settings interface, it points to the right place
    Please post a screenshot of the settings window (remove or blank out your license key before posting).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

And here is an image of where I end up when i push the folder icon
    Attachment 17449

Quote Originally Posted by thermopile View Post
    Attachment 17448

here you go!
    That's not a valid location on your computer - it's ProgramData (without a space). However, it isn't recommended that ProgramData is used for the FG data. Some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tc-Fix-options

You could try uninstalling, then opening Windows registry editor (regedit.exe) and delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds. Run a re-install from this executable: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...WebInstall.exe Do not change any of the defaults file locations.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I never did find a solution unfortunately. When I first boot up Fantasy Grounds everything works fine using the ProgramData folder. Following any program update I can no longer access any of my campaigns, characters etc. The work around for me was to simply quit the program after any update and restart it. A little annoying but it works fine. Good luck.

If you re-install your data folders in the default location ("C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds"), it will most likely work much better.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the fast answer!

Hmmm, well the "Progran Data"-folder was what the installer decided for itself...

Anyway, removed everything, did the regedit thing, reinstalled using the provided link, changed the data directory to "C:\Users\Anders.Fogelberg\AppData\Roaming\Fan tasy Grounds" (I created the Fantasy Grounds folder), ran the installation and updated it afterwards.

Klicking on the little folder still gives the app directory as the data directory (meaning I end up here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds).

Sigh...

Any other bright ideas?

Thread Information