DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Combat Tracker Lag

I have noticed (for a long time now) that when adding NPCs from Encounters to the CT, there is a long delay. Here is what I posted on Discord.

https://discord.com/channels/2745828...12046112792696

with attached GIFs demonstrating (kinda).

This was tested in a new campaign and and old one. Its the same. It took over 1 minute to add 15 NPCs. Then when you click on the NPCs link in the CT, sometimes it takes a similar amount of time to bring up that NPC window. I know that SWADE makes duplicates of each NPC added to the CT, so allow them to be customised individually (like adding weapons to them on the CT), but I also test this in D&D 5e and its a lot quicker (65 NPCs in 30 seconds).

If I click each NPC and open their window up, it speeds stuff up for later on, but its initially super slow. Also on the Combat Tracker there is an option to Remove Effects, that also is very slow. (Remove NPC effects, Remove PC effects).

This seems to be because NPCs are no longer linked but actually created as new NPCs in the CT, the length of time is directly related to complexity of the NPC (some of the Deadlands servitors are the worse), other than going back to linked NPCs (which would be read-only in many modules) would speed things up, but then you cannot have 5 bad guys with swords and 1 bad guy with an axe, removing the sword from 1 NPC on the CT would remove the sword from all of them
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Quote Originally Posted by Doswelk View Post
    This seems to be because NPCs are no longer linked but actually created as new NPCs in the CT, the length of time is directly related to complexity of the NPC (some of the Deadlands servitors are the worse), other than going back to linked NPCs (which would be read-only in many modules) would speed things up, but then you cannot have 5 bad guys with swords and 1 bad guy with an axe, removing the sword from 1 NPC on the CT would remove the sword from all of them
    I checked in D&D 5e. The NPCs in that are also individual and editable, though you can't drop a weapon on them and it auto-equip.

But over 1 minute to open 1 NPC is too much time. I had a flame wind dragon breath a cone onto 5 or 6 targets that need to evade and it took ages.
    The fire went out....

I'm experiencing the same lag. CT has slowed down with the changes made in the last couple of releases of FGU.
    It's also a bit quirky with things like dragging a character onto another character's action card and losing effects that didn't expire.

The most noticeable instances I've seen of this happening are when I have NPCs with lots of entries on the Powers tab, or lots of sub attacks. I've also seen it with the use of animated tokens. This kind of tracks with Doswelk's theory in that it is hanging on creating a copy of a complex NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by rigerco View Post
    The most noticeable instances I've seen of this happening are when I have NPCs with lots of entries on the Powers tab, or lots of sub attacks. I've also seen it with the use of animated tokens. This kind of tracks with Doswelk's theory in that it is hanging on creating a copy of a complex NPC.
    I can kind of understand a delay (not 80 seconds) for making a duplicate, but once its made it should not take 1 minute to open up the duplicate npc record.

Not disputing that! When I first encountered it I chalked it up to having too many complex NPCs, animated tokens, and a massive map. It's obviously a bigger problem and needs to be investigated.

My NPCs have lots of sub attacks and powers. We're playing at legendary rank, so the NPCs are more complex, as are the PCs.
    I don't use animated tokens (yet), but I do tend to use larger maps.
    These look like clues to the problem.
    I just started a new game at novice rank. I'll pay attention to the CT speed with fewer and simpler NPCs.

On the flip side, I just added two dozen giant spiders to the CT with a small map and I would guess that it took about 15 seconds. No animations. About as vanilla as can be.

Ditto

I am experiencing lag as well. At first, I thought it was because I had 40 combatants but I ran a smaller combat last week, 2 vehicles, two PCs, and 1 NPC, and there was definite lag.

Thread Information