DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 36 of 39 First ... 263435363738 ... Last
    Hey there I'd like to help with bringing the German translations to an Up-to Date state for the Core and 5E rulesets. I have already made a lot of headway but would like to know a few things before I proceed:

Are translated strings expected to adhere to already existing, official translations, where applicable?

For example there are several official German translations of 5E core rulebooks available, published by "Ulisses-Spiele" (Ulisses-Games). A hot topic in the German DnD Community has always been their terrible quality. If I was to continue/update the German XMLs, am I expected to use these official translations when possible? I'd rather want to avoid them.

Also how is "We respect copyright and the work of others, never “adding to” nor “removing from” the original in our Translations." meant. While drvolk did a great job with his translations, some of them are translated 1:1, which makes a lot of sentences overly complicated, worst case even wrong. If there are more elegant German words or phrases to convey the same message, am I still expected to use the closest translated representations of those words, even if the outcome is clunky?

Cheers
    SirMotte
    Last edited by SirMotte; May 22nd, 2020 at 14:08.

I think it is absolutely ok if you translate the 1:1 translations into more elegant ones.
    You just shouldn't extend the content of the text or change it with your own interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by drvolk View Post
    I think it is absolutely ok if you translate the 1:1 translations into more elegant ones.
    You just shouldn't extend the content of the text or change it with your own interpretation.
    Alright, I'll get to it next week then. Thanks for your hard work so far!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    It's waiting for someone to step up and to start managing it.

Myself or one of the other mods can update the first posts as needed. Just PM me any changes.
    If there is still a need for someone to continue the coordination of the project instead of or in representation of dulux-oz, I might be willing to do so.

I would also port the LPak framework and the corresponding LPak extensions into a GIT repository at the same time.
    In my opinion, this would make it much easier, clearer and more efficient to manage the many LPaks.

I'm also interested in that, so I can help with the spanish translation.
    Multilanguage support will improve FG indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drvolk View Post
    If there is still a need for someone to continue the coordination of the project instead of or in representation of dulux-oz, I might be willing to do so.

I would also port the LPak framework and the corresponding LPak extensions into a GIT repository at the same time.
    In my opinion, this would make it much easier, clearer and more efficient to manage the many LPaks.
    No one else has stepped up

If you move it to GIT, I would just make sure their are instructions or a link for folks new to GIT. Also, once any such move is done I can update the first post to point to the instructions and GIT.

Feel free to discuss, it's really up to those involved int he project how they want to handle it. Myself and the other mods will help facilitate.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMotte View Post
    Are translated strings expected to adhere to already existing, official translations, where applicable?
    Think about what the expectations of the users are. If there would be no German translation, or you only offer a translation for your own rounds (as I did by the way), ignoring the official translation would certainly not be a problem.

But if Hans Mustermann loads your translation, he owns the German rules, and then has to translate back and forth between them and yours (e.g. because skills, spells, backgrounds, classes etc. are called differently), you have to ask yourself if this is really in the inventor's sense.

This is probably just my own opinion, but you should ask yourself this question. Personally, I think the best solution would be a two-step translation: One that contains everything and follows the official names if possible, and an optional one (with a higher loadorder) where the texts are "improved".

Quote Originally Posted by Simerion View Post
    [...]Personally, I think the best solution would be a two-step translation: One that contains everything and follows the official names if possible, and an optional one (with a higher loadorder) where the texts are "improved".
    This is indeed a very sensible solution that I will put into practice. Two translations it is!
    Last edited by SirMotte; May 22nd, 2020 at 22:08.

I posted a poll to ask SmiteWorks to implement full localization support into their rulesets.

It would be great if as many community members as possible would participate in this vote.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...their-rulesets

I would like to help the translation of 5e to Brazilian Portuguese. I just don't quite understand where to get the files of the .ext to change them and how to assemble them together as an .ext that the game will actually recognize

Thread Information