5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Building out spell effects for NPCs

I've figured out how to add spell effects for PCs. For example, Bless was relatively easy to figure out how to add and build just based on the interface and the wiki.

How do you add this sort of spell effect to a monster? I spent about an hour trying to build out Bless for the Eye of Gruumsh and could not figure out what I was missing. What are you recommendations & is there some documentation I am missing for effects?

Thanks,

Tad

There's no current way to automate this effect right on the NPC sheet. The internal spell parser gets about 90% of the spells correct, but won't handle certain ones including bless.

There's some new code in v3.1.3 that will automatically set up the PC sheet with the correct effect, but it has to override the text parsing to do it. This means I can't use the same mechanism for the NPC effect parsing inline. I may be able to do something to get it to add to the CT when NPC added though. Let me look at it.

In the mean time, the formula in the CT entry for bless should be [EFF: ATK: 1d4; SAVE: 1d4; (C) (D:10)]

Cheers,
    JPG

Thanks Moon Wizard.

What's the (C) for?

Concentration I assume. You can only (generally) have one concentration spell at a time.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Guys, where's the best tutorial/documentation for writing spell effect formulas?

Well you can try here and here and also here and here too.

Note also that the forthcoming version 3.1.3 (in test) has all of the spell effects built in so that they can be dragged and dropped and just work..
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Well you can try here and here and also here and here too.

Note also that the forthcoming version 3.1.3 (in test) has all of the spell effects built in so that they can be dragged and dropped and just work..
    Thanks Zacchaeus. Looking forward to the drag & drop, but I always want to feel like I have mastery. Thanks for the direction.

Test version now also includes overrides so spells that previously didn't auto parse now do when dragged into the NPC sheet.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Test version now also includes overrides so spells that previously didn't auto parse now do when dragged into the NPC sheet.
    That's definitely going to be helpful.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Thread Information