STAR TREK 2d20

D&D 5E Hex Battlemap Support

Hello all,
    I have been reading my DMG and found the info on how to use hex grids in D&D and am thinking of using it as I like the way hexes work much more than squares. My concern is that FG may not support hexes. I have to admit I have not played with it yet, I was hoping to get info from people who have tried it and learn from them before I start trying to figure it out. If anyone has tried to use hex battlemaps for D&D 5E and can give me their insights I would appreciate it.

If this is the wrong forum for this please let me know and I will repost this in the right forum.

Thanks,

Hi WarderBrad,

FG supports hexes. For most of the published 5e material there is already a square grid in place. Just right click on the map, choose "layers" and change the grid to hexes. You may have some issues with things lining up as it was not originally done with hexes in mind, but you can move/resize the hexes as needed.
    Ultimate License Holder--All can play in my games.

Need Help as a GM, PM me and I will give as much assistance as I can to get you started.

COMPLETED PROJECTS--Fifth Edition Foes (Frog God Games) 5E. Quests of Doom Volume 1 (Frog God Games) 5E, Quests of Doom Volume II (Frog God Games) 5E.

CURRENT PROJECTS--Quests of Doom 3 & 4 (Frog God Games) 5E.

warderbrad,

In addition to what jshauber said, if you activate the hex grid, some ruleset features are not working anymore (unless you activate squares, I mean). For instance, the reach area for tokens is lost. And the color for tokens showing friendly-neutral-hostile status.

Moon Wizard told me that the issue with hexes would be solved in the Unity version of Fantasy Grounds, since there are some sort of built-in difficulties in the current code.

Other than that, you can use hexes without additional handicaps.

PS. Many rulesets around, like GURPS, are also using hexes and don't handle reach nor token-NPC disposition status, but that is by design rather than because the inability to make it work.
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

Thread Information