5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Quick NPCs

West Virginia (not the redneckish part), USA
    Could those be turned int a free mod that we could use for NPC's ? I'll try and help if that is the case
    No matter where you go, there you are !!
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazoodust View Post
    Just a thought, but could there be a 'database' of NPC's that could be shared, or would this infringe on any licenses ? If so, could that be gotten around by requiring the PHB or class module to use them? I'd thing that a list of NPC readily available by class/race/occupation would be helpful to many a DM if it can be done without legal issues getting involved
    I created an NPC module builder for Castles&Crusades. It was an online form you could enter your own NPC in, including tokens and it would export a module with yours and everyone elses NPCs. My thought was that it would be perfect for all those times you needed an NPC in a hurry - you could grab a blacksmith or forrester or urchin or guard captain etc. Unfortunately no one else used it so I have done nothing with it since then.

I do think that this is a good idea nonetheless

The legality of it kinda makes me wonder if its doable or not though. I'm sure there's quite a few NPC's people have made out there that, if shareable, could build up a base fairly quickly
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    If the NPCs are people - bartenders, guards, bakers, brigands, jesters and mercenaries - and they dont contain any story lifted verbatim from some published works then I can see no reason why you couldnt do this.
    Bran the Barkeep
    Gerrom of the City Guard
    Carris the Outlaw
    etc...

Would this be good even if they were for example an 8th level Sorcerer, flush with spells and all?
    Ultimate License

Blog Entries
    Spells get harder.
    Some spells ARE copyrighted IP. A Fireball cant by copyright. A spell by a particular wizard could be. A spell with a name that identifies itself uniquely as being D&D could be. The text descriptions for many spells are likely to be copyright. The mechanics of the spell - it does 8d6 flame damage and you can save vs Dex for half damage - that cant be copyright.
    If your 8th lvl sorcerer had spell names (excluding those that are uniquely D&D) and the GM could redrag in proper spells would likely be ok.
    Examples of spells that are definitely protected are Tashas Hideous Laughter and Tenser's Floating Disk and Melf's Acid Arrow.

I'm thinking most people doing this would have a PHB or their own version of it, so a spell list should be good, and links if the DM owns the PHB could also be allowed if I'm thinking sorta right
    Ultimate License

And answering my own question to some extent - after working through all the replies I went to Fantasy Grounds Library, Monster Manual, NPCs, Class Index, and found under "Humanoid (any race") a whole set of pre-drawn NPCs ready to use, such as acolytes, archmages, etc. Very useful.

However, it would still be great to be able to quickly draw up random NPCs by choosing race, sex, class, level and name, and having random stats, HPs, etc, assigned by Fantasy Grounds. DM Genie used to do this for D&D 3rd ed characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversteel View Post
    However, it would still be great to be able to quickly draw up random NPCs by choosing race, sex, class, level and name, and having random stats, HPs, etc, assigned by Fantasy Grounds. DM Genie used to do this for D&D 3rd ed characters.
    Yep, that would be cool. I think that would have to be a community effort to produce something like that...

Like Ardem's excellent Random extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ndom-Extension but something more specific to 5E and statblock generation.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I had also wondered why we dont have a place where we create characters and the like like pregenerated characters from the wotc website and make them available by exporting them and linking the file here. I get spells and powers and things, but honestly they've been posting characters for years on their website to use a pregens. We could get a group effort to make a score of NPC and PC pre made characters

Thread Information