DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Undocumented Features

Is it worth keeping a log of all the undocumented features Fantasy Grounds has. While the manual has enough to get started, the more time I spend on these boards the more features I can't recall reading about in the manual keep getting mentioned.

Like how large images are handled so that the players keep the map focused on what the DM wants them to see. Its a cool feature.

Or right-clicking on the left tag in the Storys, Personalities, etc, sections to add additional groups to help organise large adventures. (I've noticed this group feature isn't supported by a module export).

We've planned to make a "complete" documentation perhapas as an evolving html page. It would of course be possible to augment the pdf-manual, but then it might become too lenghty for most people to read it to get a good pace of learning the ways of the software.

Even if the first 20 pages were as before, some kind of a quick starter, I fear adding pages to the pdf would give it a more formidable appearance and repel users from reading it at all. Including another documentation in the install pack might confuse people; should they read the short manual or the long manual. I would probably start to read the long one and drop it off after reading a few pages of introduction, acknowledgements, and detailed installation instructions.

What do you people think? Would a well-organized web page do it?

What about a full sized manual and a briefer "quick start" guide, both PDFs? If you are worried about potential users being thrown off by a large manual, you could just include the quick start guide with the demo, and both with the full license.

I concur - A 'full' manual would be nice to be able to have printed in front of me or on the other monitor. Since FG sucks down so many resources (on my system), I doubt I could get another browser open to be able to run it and FG at the same time.

Make separate docs if you have to...might be easier to manage as well. Not having a doc in the first place is a big no-no; so you should concider hiring on a writer, even for a short time. But if you feel you really want only 1 doc, keeping it thin in fear of folks not reading it isn't a good reason not to document. Just have a clear, separate chapter for "Advanced" knowledge or something.

I think you'd do well to add both: a .doc in the download package and a web based list would be superb. As far as confusing people, I wouldn't worry about that. It takes a pretty strong mind to wrap itself around tabletop RPGing from the get-go . Any sort of list of full features is going to be less confusing than trying to discover them all on our own.

Frankly, I can't understand why it wasn't included from the time you began charging money for this wonderful product. You've got a great program here; please, tell us how to use it to its maximum potential!

Also, I'd highly recommend posting a list of planned features that you are working on on the web site (probably here in the forums). Mostly because I want to drool over them, heh.

Bottom line, Yes, yes, yes please fully document your product. Please!

More undocumented features

You can macro your die rolls and still have them be invisible - its not noted in the manual but if you add a ? to the die roll hotkey it'll work. For example

/die ?1d20+3 Reflex Save

That would cause a hidden roll on a macro for the GM. This doesn't (obviously) work for the players, however.

I've been quoted! Yay!

Thread Information