DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingersome View Post
    Rats! <3 )~
    You can do this with Better Combat Effect https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/76/view

Interception Fighting Style; DMGR: 1d10+2 all

I have a related question.

I am trying to add Damage Reduction (not resistance) to an NPC (instead of a character). I have tried many different ways and nothing is working so far. Is there a way to do this and if so where do I add it and in what format?

Thank you

Add a trait called Damage Threshold and make sure that there's a number in the description. More details here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Damage-Thresho
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Miloh View Post

I am trying to add Damage Reduction (not resistance) to an NPC (instead of a character). I have tried many different ways and nothing is working so far. Is there a way to do this and if so where do I add it and in what format?

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Add a trait called Damage Threshold and make sure that there's a number in the description. More details here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Damage-Thresho

You can use the EXT Better Combat Effects I've found is best fix for this. The listed one above does not do DR at all, its totally different system. It's DT which means that a mob has to do X dmg more than the DT number before taking ALL the damage. Example would be DT is 10, if something does 9 damage to something with DT 10, it would do 0 damage, but if something were to do 11 damage to something with DT 10, it would do 11 damage.

BCE (Better Combat Effects) allows a code called DMGR: x dmgtype. Which would reduce the damage to anything with that code on it.
    Example would be.
    DMGR: 3 fire
    Anything that did fire damage to that target it would reduce the damage by 3 fire. So say something hit it with 10 piercing and 7 fire damage, it would reduce the damage to 10 piercing, and 4 fire.
    If something were to do 10 piercing damage to something with DMGR: 3 fire, it would do 10 piercing with no reduction.
    Good example of this coding would be for HAM (Heavy Armor Mastery) which is NOT resistance so SW wants us to do
    Code:
    RESIST: 3 piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, !magic
    However, this will conflict with things like Blade Ward (Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.) which will conflict directly with the RESIST coding above when it shouldn't HAM and Blade Ward should totally stack as HAM is not resist based on RAW.
    So the HAM coding with the BCE ext would be
    Code:
    DMGR: 3 piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, !magic
    I hope this clears it up.

Maybe one day SW will put in the correct damage reduction coding.
    Last edited by MrDDT; December 2nd, 2021 at 03:42.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Maybe one day SW will put in the correct damage reduction coding.
    Does 5E actually have DR? I didn't think it did and was just in 3rd party products as a carry over from previous editions.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miloh View Post

Thank you
    You need a damage type or types. It won't process untyped. use "all" if you want all damage types

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Does 5E actually have DR? I didn't think it did and was just in 3rd party products as a carry over from previous editions.
    As I posted in my post HAM is DR, not resist. As it shouldn't conflict RESIST like Blade Ward spell or Racial Resists etc.

So yes, 5E has DR however, SW didn't put the coding in for it. HAM = DR.
    Last edited by MrDDT; December 2nd, 2021 at 03:39.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    There's a lot of effects that reduce damage. Most of them based on dice rolls, but a few have other ways to determine it. The Heavy Armor Master that was mentioned already is one of the most common, but also the Monk's ability to catch arrows is handled as a damage reduction effect, so is the interception fighting style, the monk's slow fall, the abjurer's arcane ward (which is NOT temp hp and it is supposed to prevent concentration checks), bladsinger wizards song of defence, bard's cutting words, Goliath racial ability of stone endurance, etc. There's maybe 25 of them now.

The coding issue that MrDDT is referring to is related to this example of how to handle both resistance and reduction from the Players Handbook:
    a creature has resistance to bludgeoning damage and is hit by an attack that deals 25 bludgeoning damage. The creature is also within a magical aura that reduces all damage by 5. The 25 damage is first reduced by 5 and then halved, so the creature takes 10 damage.
    In FG both are treated as resistance, neither as reduction, therefore the effects don't combine properly. There is a kludgey work around of applying -dmg to the attacker. This is unsatisfactory because if it is an area effect, then one person's ability ends up reducing damage to all targets.

Thread Information