FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Attacks on combat tracker?

using ultimate license
    official lost mine of phandelver 5e adventure
    deluxe phb and mm

I have created characters. I drag them from the pc window to the empty combat tracker. Then drag them from there to the map. I believe this is the proper order.

On the character sheets the attacks have calculated correctly and I can click there to attack, how do I get those attacks to show on the combat tracker? So I dont need the character sheet open.
    FG Ultimate License
    Noob 5e DM - Princes of the Apocalypse & The Lost Mine of Phandelver
    GMT -6 CST USA

Simple answer is that you can't. Only NPCs attacks etc. appear on the combat tracker. PCs can use their action tabs on the character sheets (which will very likely have far more actions on it anyway that there could be on the Combat Tracker). Even if it did appear on the CT you'd still need the character sheet open, so there's no gain from having some of the characters' actions duplicated on the CT.

PC actions do not show up on the combat tracker. It used to be possible to add them manually, but that was removed in a recent patch. It does make building and running an NPC as a PC more of a chore, but my understanding was that since the actions did not automatically populate from the PC character sheet into the combat tracker tab, the choice was made to just remove that tab from PCs.

I'm a player in a FG based game and somehow its on there. the +5 ATK or whatever it says (cant see it atm). I would drag that to the token I wanted to attack as a player. From the combat tracker.
    FG Ultimate License
    GMT -6 CST USA

What ruleset? I know it isn't in the current version of 5e, but it might still be there for others. Also, even when it was there for 5e, only the GM could see the actions tab on the CT item. If you are talking about something you could see as a player, we must be talking about two different things.

5e. Yes this was something I saw as a player.

Is it NOT avail for DMs but IS avail for players?

I saw it as a player first. Now on the DM side I am not seeing how to make these actions show up. Is the combat tracker for players different than dms in this aspect?
    FG Ultimate License
    GMT -6 CST USA

In addition to the correct info above, the players don't see anything like the detail that the GM sees in the combat tracker (open another instance of FG on your computer and "Join Game" as localhost to see exactly what the players see) so any attacks etc. in the combat tracker are purely for the GM, not the players. As has been mentioned above, the player character sheet is much more complex than the NPC character sheet and so the attacks etc. don't get populated in the combat tracker. In the rare occasion when the GM has to roll some dice for a PC they can just click the link to the right of the combat tracker entry to open the character sheet and do the rolls from there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You can launch a 2nd session of Fantasy Grounds and log onto your DM session as a player. Use the word "localhost" (without quotes) instead of the IP address and a different log-on name than your DM session. This will let you see the interface from a player perspective.

Edit: So yeah, Trenloe wrote more than I did, and faster. I need more coffee.

As epithet says the players actions on the Combat Tracker are no longer shown as of version 3.1.1. You may have seen it as a player in an earlier version. The GM CT differs in many respects from that of the players. Primarily of course they have access to the NPC actions which the player obviously doesn't.

Good grief. Ninja'd twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Eighteez View Post
    5e. Yes this was something I saw as a player.

Is it NOT avail for DMs but IS avail for players?

I saw it as a player first. Now on the DM side I am not seeing how to make these actions show up. Is the combat tracker for players different than dms in this aspect?
    Sorry, I think you're confusing a section of your character sheet with the combat tracker. In the 5E ruleset there has never been anything in the combat tracker that allows a player to do attack rolls from the combat tracker - this is always done from the character sheet, or a hotkey if the player has set one of those up. The most a player might see in the combat tracker is an attack effect (see example below) but this can't be interacted with by the player, and can't be used to roll and attack.

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information