STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Minimum Damage

Minimum Damage

I see in the most recent test release that there has been a problem which is now fixed where minimum damage was bypassing immunity. This implies that there is a rule somewhere that an attack will deal a minimum of 1 point of damage.

My question is where in 5e does it state that there should, in fact, be a minimum damage? I noticed this when I was creating an effect for the Monks' deflect missile ability. Essentially the Monk can reduce incoming damage from a missile attack by 1d10 + Dex modifier + level. What happens when this is applied is that the Monk always takes at least 1 point of damage even when the deflection roll reduces said damage to zero or less.

So, I kind of assumed that there was a rule somewhere that said that a hit would always do at least one point of damage which was the case in some previous iterations of D&D. However I cannot find such a rule in 5e. So should the Fantasy Grounds 5e ruleset be updated to remove any minimum damage not just when there is immunity? Further if there is a rule that a hit should do a minimum amount of damage why wouldn't that apply to something that did have immunity? (unless there was a specific rule which overrode the minimum damage rule when considering immunity - and I can't find one of those either).

Sometimes it's just too complicated

There is no minimum damage rule in 5e. So sayeth Jeremy Crawford (the WotC 5e rules guy).
    https://www.twitter.com/JeremyECrawf...26410703822848

Fractionals are rounded down too, so if you take one point of damage that you are resistant to it would end up as 0.
    Last edited by OneSidedDie; July 14th, 2015 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSidedDie View Post
    There is no minimum damage rule in 5e. So sayeth Jeremy Crawford (the WotC 5e rules guy).
    https://www.twitter.com/JeremyECrawf...26410703822848

Fractionals are rounded down too, so if you take one point of damage that you are resistant to it would end up as 0.
    That Twitter feed is like a firehose of clarifications. Love it!

This is what I thought, so I'll add it to the bug list.

Thread Information