5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Well if you have a sneak peak at Zeus's signature block the thing you seek might well be in there.

Current 5E Project*:D&D 5E Magic Items & Parcel Generator - yay functional magic items and a nice new generator front end for the loot tables in the DMG!

Quote Originally Posted by bnickelsen View Post
    question 2 Could I expect
    Opt a: To see the AC and saves on the PC character sheet change to reflect this adjustment?
    Opt a
    Just in case this hasn't been cleared up by the follow up posts above. Effect do not change values directly on the character sheet. They are only applied when a roll is made (attack, damage, save, etc.) or in the rare cases of DMGO and REGEN when the creature turn occurs.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Another question related to effects, (I am assuming No but going to ask anyways.)

Is there a way to automatically remove an effect when if anther effect is added. or negate the benefits?

Example Barbarian "Danger sense" Grants advantage to Dex saves but as an example loses this ability when Blinded. So I was thinking that inn the effect "Danger Sense" maybe use the "If" option to say if Not Blinded?

Just stabbing in the dark.....
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Personally for long term magic items like rings, (armor, weapons, ect) I would not make their bonuses an effect. I would just up the AC and Saves by 1 on the character sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by bnickelsen View Post
    Another question related to effects, (I am assuming No but going to ask anyways.)

Is there a way to automatically remove an effect when if anther effect is added. or negate the benefits?

Example Barbarian "Danger sense" Grants advantage to Dex saves but as an example loses this ability when Blinded. So I was thinking that inn the effect "Danger Sense" maybe use the "If" option to say if Not Blinded?

Just stabbing in the dark.....
    This is the "Effects Delima". If you choose to use them then you need to be able to unwind them. In this case just create a one use effect that give you disadvantage on dex saves that you apply when you make a save when blind. Past a certain point the effort of using effects is more than just doing it manually. Deciding where to draw the line is the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Personally for long term magic items like rings, (armor, weapons, ect) I would not make their bonuses an effect. I would just up the AC and Saves by 1 on the character sheet.
    I thought about that but the issue is keeping track of what they have on and need to re-do the math each time. I like the effect usage because it shows what they have on.
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

You could always Ctrl-Scroll over a field to add a pretty bubble modifier to it!

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    As you noticed however the number isn't actually displayed, not even in the roll, but it does count.

Test Fighter has an AC of 18 normally, with the AC: 1 effect this roll of 18 missed him since the system knew his modified AC was 19 even though it's not shown on the character sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Effect do not change values directly on the character sheet. They are only applied when a roll is made (attack, damage, save, etc.) or in the rare cases of DMGO and REGEN when the creature turn occurs.
    I'm a bit confused. Does the effect show up in the roll (but not the char sheet) or not in either? I have always seen an effect bonus included in the modifier number for roll... until a few nights ago. We were trying to get an attack bonus effect to work and the character, normally +3 to hit, was showing [EFFECTS +1] in the text but still a +3 to hit and the 'Attack [15]' wasn't a number higher than the roll total like it would be if the 1 were added after the roll. Testing showed that the attack roll seemed to be receiving the bonus before comparing to AC.

I've never seen the numbers in the chat message not accurately represent the changes from effects.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

In the test I did above it added +1 to the AC "silently" and just mentioned that it had done that in the roll results since it wasn't really adjusting the roll value just the roll target (which you don't normally see).

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Does the effect show up in the roll (but not the char sheet) or not in either? I have always seen an effect bonus included in the modifier number for roll... until a few nights ago. We were trying to get an attack bonus effect to work and the character, normally +3 to hit, was showing [EFFECTS +1] in the text but still a +3 to hit and the 'Attack [15]' wasn't a number higher than the roll total like it would be if the 1 were added after the roll. Testing showed that the attack roll seemed to be receiving the bonus before comparing to AC.

I've never seen the numbers in the chat message not accurately represent the changes from effects.
    Tested this several ways and found it always effects the roll and shows in chat that you got an Effect Bonus of "X". And definitely does not alter values on the character sheet.
    Brice AKA BoringMadman

Thread Information